Backup vm without quiesce

cividan

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I come again to you guys for advice. I'm backing up Exchange and SQL vm that have too much activity to support quiesce snapshot so what we would like to do is to do a snapshot backup without "quiescing" the VM. I understand this would not be a consistent state backup but I would rather have a non-consistent backup than no backup at all. I found this thread http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=36224 from nov 2013 where IBM developper suggest that it will most likely make it to the next major release. I looked around in the what's new feature for TSM 7.1 but didn't find anything about it. This bring 2 questions:
#1 Has this feature made it to 7.1 ?
#2 If the feature is in 7.1 is it client side or server side so I know that I need to upgrade ?

Hi, I come again to you guys for advice. I'm backing up Exchange and SQL vm that have too much activity to support quiesce snapshot so what we would like to do is to do a snapshot backup without "quiescing" the VM. I understand this would not be a consistent state backup but I would rather have a non-consistent backup than no backup at all. I found this thread http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=36224 from nov 2013 where IBM developper suggest that it will most likely make it to the next major release. I looked around in the what's new feature for TSM 7.1 but didn't find anything about it. This bring 2 questions:
#1 Has this feature made it to 7.1 ?
#2 If the feature is in 7.1 is it client side or server side so I know that I need to upgrade ?

Last I looked this feature is not on 7.1 but will be in a later release.

Here is a solution that I took when TSM for VE came out. I installed TDP for Mail and TDP for DB to have backups. The image backup is for the OS and applications; and not for the associated databases.

Last edited:
Thanks, we already do backup of the Database using TDP for exchange and TDP for SQL but re-installing exchange is a pain in the B*tt so I wanted to have the OS + installation disk backed up. Currently Exchange and SQL are installed on RAW disk so the Image would only take the OS disk using the "vmprocessvmwithprdm=yes" settings.

@marclant: The quiesce snapshot is not working straight in Vmware so I doudbt any settings in TSM would help.

Thanks for the confirmation, I will keep my eyes open for this feature with future release.

Back