Backup to container pool is very slow

rpandey

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
HI,
We have disk container pool for the regular nightly schedule backup. Backup is very slow on container pool. Back-end storage is v7000. Can someone please guide me how can i fix the slow performance on container poo?

Some info about your system is needed. OS, version, SP version etc.
Info about disk layout on tour v7k can help too.

SP: Version 7, Release 1, Level 7.307
SP DB, LOGS: SSD
Container Pool: V7000, 16TB LUNs per file system mounted to OS

Sine you are running AIX. Have a look at nmon. Are you getting 100% diskutil on any on the NL luns? There are also a few parameters you can add to the OS to increase disk IO. The IBM blueprints documents this very good.

SP current version is 8.1.5.xxx. Can you upgrade? Lots of work as been done on IBM Directory containers

Make sure all firmware on all parts are up to date.

Are you seeing CRC errors on your FC fabric's

Are you using the IBM disk drivers on AIX?

I a not too skilled with the v7k stuff, but a raid6 with too many drives may cause unneeded latency. Maybe some tuning here can be done?

And, what speeds to you see when writing data?

Are the clients using multiple mountpoints?

Sorry, all I got are questions. Maybe they can guide you abit.

What type of backup are you doing? Recently I had a similar issue and the solution was to do multi/session backups (multiple streams per backup) as it seems container pool has a throughput limit per session

Similar problems. We found increasing the TCPWINDOWSIZE on the server (assuming your server can handle it) and increasing the RESOURCEUTILIZATION on the client side helps a lot.

With container pools and inline dedup, the DB performance can affect backup performance. Are your DB disks and active log on SSD?

How big is the Spectrum Protect Server DB?
up to 2 TB, you need 4 LUNs/DB directories on SSD
2 to 4 TB, you need 8 LUNs/DB directories on SSD
greater than 4TB, you need 12 LUNs/DB directories on SSD

Did you follow the Blueprint for the size of your environment?
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Tivoli Storage Manager/page/IBM Spectrum Protect Blueprints

Hi
It is built as per IBM Blueprint. We have 12 LUNs/DB directories on SSD

Back