Backup stgpool cross site - which TSM server instance is used as the target?

nandystam

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi

I thought this would be an easy question to answer, but I'm scratching my head a bit.

Our environment has two physical servers, and two libraries. There is one library/server per data centre.

One server runs three TSM server instances (TSM1, 2 and 5), and the other runs two TSM server instances (TSM3 and 4), plus a library manager.

Tomorrow I am shutting down the TSM3 server instance for maintenance, but as TSM1/2/5 has scheduled backup data tasks to copy pools on TSM3 or 4, how can I tell which of TSM1/2/5 will use TSM3 as the target for this?

I searched through the device classes set for the copy pools on TSM1/2/5, but apart from the tape library name, there isn't anything that says "when running a backup stgpool command, this server instance always backs up to a copy pool instance on TSM3". It just points to the target tape library. Not much to be found in the copy pool configuration on TSM3 either.

Is this just a random process? Our tape library (3500 series) isn't 'partitioned' either.

The best workaround I can think of at the moment is to simply mark TSM3's copy pools as unavailable. Obviously the backup stgpool commands will just fail if they try to access them. Is that my best bet?

Hope that makes sense!

Back