backup sessions stall after 5.1.5 upgrade?

ALT-G

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
TSMers,

I recently upgraded our 3 TSM servers from ver 4.2.1.0 to 5.1.5 and am having a major problem with what appears to be performance of our biggest TSM server during backup sessions. The server is a Dell 6450, 2g RAM, dual 700 Xeons, fibre attatched STK 9840 tape drives, and fibre EMC SAN which is used for primary backup disk pools. Network connectivity is 100mb ethernet.

There are approx. 250 nodes on the server which backup during one of three client schedules that are stagered several hours apart. The problem is that clients begin backup schedules ( as many as 80-100 at a time) and after a brief amount of time, which seems to vary from day to day, backup processing slows to a snails pace, sometimes resulting in numerous "hung" sessions which never resume processing and have to be canceled and the client services restarted. I have checked the activity log, swapped NIC's, checked event logs, ran performance monitors, etc, with no leads on the potential cause. (am awaiting results of a network sniffer that was tasked to monitor port traffic)

My question is has anyone else experienced similar issues with 5.1.5. There has not been any configuration changes or client additions to the machine since the TSM server upgrade and all ran well under ver.4.2.1.0.

Also, could this be related to storage pool migration that runs during client backups? Which again was no problem under 4.2.1

I have not yet summoned Tivoli support and find their recent website transition near useless.

I appreciate any input provided for this first time poster................

Thanks in advance.

Rick A.

TSM Admin

Jax. Fl.

:confused:

Back