Backup of open files in UNIX

kreddy

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi all,

Please can I know how to backup open files on unix clients?
Can we use LVSA.... How do we check if LVSA is installed or running on Unix machines from the command line

In my experience, Open files do not present the same problem on UNIX/Linux and OS X systems as they do with Windows. The only time I ever see issues occurs when a file is directly being modified at the time of backup. Just having a file open does not prevent the backup from occurring. Windows on the other hand, completely locks the file when it is open so no other application (including TSM) can even access the file.

okay..... I know these are not open file errors,

but a few of the unix files are not being backed with the messade : "Access to the object is denied"
Do you know what to resolve this

To answer that question accurately we really need to understand the files use. Is it a DB file? Is it a log file? UNIX does have open file issues, it just depends on what is in use at the time of the backup. Usually the failures are due to an application using the file while backups are occurring.

Windows on the other hand, completely locks the file when it is open so no other application (including TSM) can even access the file.

Not true. Windows can either open a file in exclusive mode or non-exclusive mode. TSM can backup files opened in non-exclusive mode (without LVSA).

okay..... I know these are not open file errors,

but a few of the unix files are not being backed with the messade : "Access to the object is denied"
Do you know what to resolve this

If you are sure that those are not opened (and locked), check on what account the TSM scheduler is running, permissions of the file. A manual backup with root account results in the same message?

Dear all,

Our customer ask to confirm that the Backup policy is fulfils the followings:

[FONT=&quot]System backup processes must perform subsequent retries for files that are still in use at the time the backup begins, and allow for verification of the integrity of the back up.

The client environment is UNIX: Linux/Solaris
How backs up TSM the used files from UNIX Clients?
What should I answer to the customer?

Thansk and Regards,
Zoltán

[/FONT]

Back