backup never start

jellyfish

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to do a selective backup for a Domino server

Domino is Windows 6.5.4
TSM TDP is Windows 5.3.0.2

Running the command

domdsmc selective "*" /subdir=yes /adsmoptfile=final.opt /logfile=final.log /tracefile=debug.log

I started this yesterday at 5pm and the TDP cli is stuck on the following when I checked at 10am - over 12 hours

Starting Domino database backup...
Initializing Domino connection...
Querying Domino for a list of databases, please wait...

Nothing written in either the log file or the trace file.

Any ideas why the backup has hang ?

You can also login to the Windows console and run a domdsmc query domino - that will tell you if the TDP agent can connect to Domino OK.

Try doing a selective on a single file and see how it goes.

doing a selective backup on a file and a small folder works successfully

The server itself has over 2 TB of domino files, could this be the reason the TDP session hangs due to enumerating all the domino files.

You can also login to the Windows console and run a domdsmc query domino - that will tell you if the TDP agent can connect to Domino OK.

yes successfully connects to the Domino server.

You might be running into total space issues. One of the instances here has a 1.8 TiB store of Domino data (~5,000 NSFs) and its backup isn't too shabby (its hosted on an AIX platform).

Is there a performance issue either with the names.nsf or a memory constraint thats also giving you grief?

Thanks for all info, I managed to get this resolved, used the clientaction on the server to initiate the backup from the server rather than the Domino client and this worked successfully.

Hi,

I have this same problem. However, I don't understand what you mean about "Client action". What client action? Can you please be specific? I always run this backup from the Domino backup agent.

Thanks,
Chris.

Chris - from the server console you can "DEFine CLIENTAction" to tell the client to perform an action, eg:

def clienta <nodename> action=command objects=c:\domsel.cmd

That will create a once-only task for the client to execute the "domsel.cmd" file.

Thanks Chris. I didn't know this option existed.
Funny however, this problem has since been resolved. It was a Domino related problem. One of our Domino techs opened a PMR with IBM and they resolved the error in Domino.
My TSM backups are now working perfectly.

No worries Chris. Yeah I've had problems with the TDP Domino client which ended up being resolved by a Domino hotfix rather than a TSM one (had one where the TSM client wouldn't release a lock on transaction logs after a restore and as a result the transaction logs would go crazy and fill the disk, causing a server crash. Turned out it was a Domino issue, TSM was just aggravating it. One hotfix later, and boom - no crashes.) Good to hear it's all working again for you.

Back