Backup fails and in server it shows still in progress from 5 days.

abcd83

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi
i had a problem with the client the backup is running from past 5 days and i chcecked server to cancel session and restart schedule but q se does not show it and whn i went to client and try to restart schedule its not updating in dsmsched.log i am unable to update tsm scheduler services and i am not even able to see GUI also i try to open its not even able to open ........pls help me out

thank you .

server AIX and client is on windows 03 standard 64 bit edition and tsm sever version of 5.5.1 and client version of 5.5.1.6

u want me to reeboot the box? is thr any othr solution fr this othr thn restarting the system

Same problem here, on a node that reboots nightly already. I haven't gotten a good backup in 5 days.

Any additional thoughts on what to try?

Fixed here. (Windows 2003)

Client side backup also wouldn't work. It would launch but just sit there doing nothing. When I turned off Journalling and tried again, it worked fine. (only one drive was journalled, but it was effecting all 3 drive backups.) When I turned Journalling on again, it wouldn't work. So I turned off journalling, deleted the journal database, and restarted journalling. The backup then worked as expected. I guess there was something bad in the journal DB that was holding it up, yet there were no errors anywhere that pointed to that.

Fixed here. (Windows 2003)

Client side backup also wouldn't work. It would launch but just sit there doing nothing. When I turned off Journalling and tried again, it worked fine. (only one drive was journalled, but it was effecting all 3 drive backups.) When I turned Journalling on again, it wouldn't work. So I turned off journalling, deleted the journal database, and restarted journalling. The backup then worked as expected. I guess there was something bad in the journal DB that was holding it up, yet there were no errors anywhere that pointed to that.

There is an option in The Journal DB that would discard the current DB whenever journaling has been disabled.

Look the the INI file and see if this option is turned ON.

Technically, all you have to do is put Journaling OFF and start it after and a new DB is created.

Yea it's PreserveDBonExit. If set to 0, the DB gets discarded when Journalling is turned off. If set to 1 it keeps the DB. I have all mine set to 1 so I have to delete it manually in situations where the db is a problem or occasionally when I want it to re-initialize.

Back