backup copy group mode=absolute

pengber

Newcomer
Reaction score
By specifying backup copy group mode=absolute - does this erase the "history" or inactive files like a selective backup ? I need an easy way to perform a weekly full backup with daily incrementals on our production SAP systems. I think this is the way - but want to be sure !

Thanks

If the copy mode is set to "absolute" in the backup copy group.

When you issue incr on the client, the client will backup the file regardless if the file have not changed since the last backup.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>

does this erase the "history"

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure if this will make things even muddier.

This depends on the version data exist.

If this is set to 2.

Let say on Monday we do a full backup. The files that are backed up on Monday will be the active version.

Then on Tuesday we do a full backup, due to the copy mode setting, the files that are backed up on Tuesday will become the active copy and the files that were backed up on

Monday will become the inactive copy.

Then on Wed. we do a full backup again, the files that are backup on on Wed will be the active copy and Tuesday backup will become the inactive copy. Monday's copy will be marked for expiration since we are only keeping 2 versions.

The answer would be "yes" the day that you do the backup, that day's backup will be the active version and by the next backup it will be the inactive copy and then expired.

I do not know if you are using a TDP to back up SAP.

I know when backing up Oracle, RMan is what controls how many versions of the database to be kept and for how long.

The latest TDP version for Oracle will use the copygroup setting to determine how many versions to keep and for how long rather than via RMan.

I do not know if this is the same with SAP.

Sias

Back