Backup consuming system resources

dhess62

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have a TSM client that is having problems with system resources being almost totally consumed when the backup runs. This is a laptop system with a very basic TSM backup that runs daily. This is the only laptop system in the enterprise that is having this problem.

Task manager will show that the TSM process is using about 95% of the CPU time.

Scratching my head on this one :confused:

Hi, do you use compression or encryption? That could consume a lot of resources.

Also check whether you're using DMA on your HD.

Hope it helps

try adding this option:

MEMORYEFFICIENT yes

don t forgot to restart the Tsm Scheduler service

MemoryEfficient is the first setting that I enabled once this problem came about. The disk is using DMA (by default in XP). For some reason it is just this one laptop. It has a Gig LAN connection so I don't suspect a bottle neck their either.

did you have a look on the "Anti Virus"?

some have very strange behavour against TSM,... you know the "File Scan"

good point, I do have an AV scan that runs near that backup schedule. I will change the sched time on that system and give it another try. Thanks

Perhaps you have "on access" scan enabled and as TSM enumerates your files/directories the virus scan is running? I'd test running the backup with the AntiVirus software totally disabled and see if you still have the problem. If you don't, I'd look into any advanced AV settings that may specifically pertain to backup software, or consider disableing the "on access" virsu scan during the backups.

Back