Backup-Archive Client Logging

vvragav

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I registered a node with the server with the nodename client1.

But I can able to use the same node name for different Backup/Archive clients (Running one XP and one Win2000 system). (I use the same dsm.opt). How to prevent using the same nodename for different client systems? :)

by being carefull?

If you don't specify the nodename in the dsm.opt the hostname of the client will be used. I assume you have unique hostnames in your landscape?

Hello -

You should not be using the same node names for any client. (I wasn't even aware it could really be done. on the server side anyway..) Think about how data is stored on the backup server - it is stored under the nodename at the top level. What if one day someone accidentally tried to restore the wrong data? You really don't want to face this sitation, so it is best to have all nodenames unique.

In order to do them properly, if you would like to use the schema of "client1" etc. for ex.,

Register the second node on the TSM backup server as "client2" -

And then what you need to do is make sure on that node you call NODENAME in the dsm.opt file as "client2" (you will have to add this to be able to specify it).

This will force the nodename.

(Note - if you used the wizard on your win node and setup the second client already as "client1" - you may have to either reinstall the BAClient, or find the parameter in the registry that corresponds to "client1" and change it to "client2" before this may connect and work properly)

Hope that makes sense to you...

Good luck.

Back