Backing up local & cluster drives using the same backup schedule

nandystam

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi folks

This might be a bit tricky to explain, but hopefully it'll make sense

We have a cluster environment, and we have set up separate TSM nodes for each physical server in the cluster, as well as a separate node for the shared drives in the cluster.

Assuming I set up two separate scheduler services on each server, can I assign each of them to the same backup schedule (e.g. the schedule created using the DEFINE SCHEDULE command on the TSM server) ?

The cluster service configurations are correct, so the schedule service for backing up the cluster drives will activate/deactivate depending on which server in the cluster contains the shared drives.

As TSM only backs up local disks by default, the first scheduler service will only backup local drives, and the second scheduler service will only backup the cluster drives (using the DOMAIN attribute in a second dsm.opt file), there won't be any overlap, even if both backup schedules had started at the same time? Or if one scheduler service started whilst the other scheduler service was already underway?

Will this work? Is there anything else I need to consider (such as different TCP ports for each CAD/scheduler service) ? We are using CAD with each scheduler service.

I hope that makes sense, I find this cluster stuff a bit of a mouthful :)

Cheers

You need to make sure the cluster node's scheduler runs on a different port than the host's TSM scheduler.

HOST NODE - TCPCLIENTPORT 1501
CLUSTER NODE - TCPCLIENTPORT 1511 (or any port number other than 1501)

Back