Backing up after Physical-to-Virtual

GregE

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Our Windows admins are in the process of converting physical servers to VMWare virtual servers. BA client will remain on the Guest as is was on the physical Win2003 server.

Would there be any reason to run a new base (selective) backup of these after they are converted, or do we just continue the regular progressive incremental as normal? I don't want to find out when it's too late that we should have done a new base backup of these.

We always start with a fresh full backup of the new node. We rename the old node in TSM and assign a date to delete its file spaces. I imagine you could run a selective backup and have nearly the same protection but it wouldn't be as clean.

Sounds alot cleaner. But technically, is there any reason to do this? I like your approach, don't get me wrong, but I'm just needing to know if I'm going to find trouble later if I don't, or if it's simply a preference and is of no bad consequences if it's not started over from a brand new base backup?

The only way to tell would be to perform a DR test on one of those servers. For us we uninstall software and drivers that isn't needed (ex: raid management, power path) and many back end drivers are changed and updated.

I wouldn't want to keep out of date items around any longer than needed. I prefer the separation of P and V files. I imagine you could get away without doing so.

It is my opinion if you have the storage and window to run new fresh backup that would be the best approach. There's really no reason not to do that.

Thanks. Do you rename the filespaces or just the node for the data you're keeping for X days from the previous physical server?

There is no technical reason to do it but it would be a good time to do it for restore reasons. (consolidate active data onto as few tapes as possible)

-Aaron

I just rename the old node to something like OLDNODE_TIL_01AUG09 and leave the filespaces alone. When the TIL date comes around I DEL FI everything for the old node.

Back