Backing up a single folder recursively?

foobar2devnull

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Info: Both Client and server are running Linux and use TSM v6.2.2

Hi all,

I've been learning as much as I can about TSM in the past couple of months and I'm starting to barely get the hang of it... but it seems I'm missing some essential knowledge.

I am trying to recursively backup a a single folder from a Linux Client say: /home/jdoe/Documents/

So after a bit of reading, I concluded that the following line in dsm.sys would do the job:
Code:
VIRTUALMountpoint /home/jdoe/Documents

It started well but then it seemed to go on to backup the rest of my client:
Code:
03/02/2011 13:19:18 --- SCHEDULEREC OBJECT BEGIN @351 03/02/2011 13:16:32
03/02/2011 13:19:18 Incremental backup of volume '/'
03/02/2011 13:19:18 Incremental backup of volume '/home/jdoe/Documents'
03/02/2011 13:19:20 Directory-->               4,096 /home/jdoe/Documents/ [Sent]
03/02/2011 13:19:20 Directory-->               4,096 /home/jdoe/Documents/Documentation [Sent]
03/02/2011 13:19:20 Directory-->               4,096 /home/jdoe/Documents/OfficeDocs [Sent]
03/02/2011 13:19:20 Directory-->               4,096 /home/jdoe/Documents/TSM [Sent]
03/02/2011 13:19:20 Directory-->               4,096 /home/jdoe/Documents/keys [Sent]
[...]
03/02/2011 13:36:29 Normal File-->            28,603 /home/jdoe/Documents/wikidoc/TB_User_Names.png [Sent]
03/02/2011 13:36:29 Normal File-->            49,203 /home/jdoe/Documents/wikidoc/TB_server_settings.png [Sent]
03/02/2011 13:36:29 Successful incremental backup of '/home/jdoe/Documents'

03/02/2011 13:36:29 Normal File-->             1,852 /etc/nail.rc [Sent]
03/02/2011 13:36:29 Symbolic Link-->              23 /etc/alternatives/Mail [Sent]
03/02/2011 13:36:29 Symbolic Link-->              39 /etc/alternatives/Mail.1.gz [Sent]
03/02/2011 13:36:29 Symbolic Link-->              23 /etc/alternatives/mail [Sent]

Why does it go on to backup the rest of the client after the line?
Code:
03/02/2011 13:36:29 Successful incremental backup of '/home/jdoe/Documents'

Any advice would be welcome! Thanks.

TSM's default is to backup all files (with some FEW exceptions - note the empahsis on FEW) UNLESS told NOT to.

Hi,

you have to add (to dsm.sys)
domain /home/jdoe/Documents

and delete any other "domain" statement - if exists

Harry

Hi moon-buddy,
I realise tsm defaults to backing up everything. I was just hoping that by using virtualmountpoint, I could override the default.

Hi Harry,
You mentioned adding domain /home/jdoe/Documents to the file but should I also leave the virtualmountpoint entry?

I also have a clopt file listed bellow which contains a domain ALL-LOCAL. Will specifying the domain as you did override the clopt settings?

Code:
Optionset                     Description                   Last Update by      Managing profile    
                                                            (administrator)     
-------------------------     -------------------------     ---------------     --------------------
OPT_UNX_LAN                   UNIX - Client Option Set      JDOE                                  
                               for UNIX servers - LAN                                               
                               connection.                                                          

Option                        Sequence         Use     Option Value                                                
                                number      Option     
                                               Set     
                                             Value     
                                           (FORCE)     
-------------------------     --------     -------     ------------------------------------------------------------
ARCHSYMLINKASFILE                    0         Yes     yes                                                         
COMPRESSION                          0         Yes     no                                                          
DIRMC                                0          No     D01BRU_S31                                                  
DOMAIN                               0         Yes     ALL-LOCAL                                                   
INCLEXCL                             0          No     exclude /.../tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/*.log                 
INCLEXCL                             1          No     include /var/log/.../* D01BRU_D62                           
INCLEXCL                             2          No     exclude.dir /.../tmp                                        
INCLEXCL                             3          No     exclude.dir /dev                                            
INCLEXCL                             4          No     exclude.dir /var/run                                        
INCLEXCL                             5          No     exclude.dir /media                                          
INCLEXCL                             6          No     exclude.dir /mnt                                            
INCLEXCL                             7          No     exclude.dir /proc                                           
INCLEXCL                             8          No     exclude.dir /sys                                            
RESOURCEUTILIZATION                  0         Yes     4                                                           
SUBDIR                               0         Yes     yes
Thank you both for your feedback.

Last edited:
Hi,

remove the "domain all-local" from the option set (on the server) (or better - define separate option set)
and leave these two lines in dsm.sys

virtualmountpoint /home/jdoe/Documents
domain /home/jdoe/Documents

Harry

Hi,

I have one last question for you which you can reply to with a URL so that I RTFM, but if I remove domain all-local from clopt file, does this remain the default or do I have to add it to the dsm.sys of all Unix boxes?

Thanks for your help!

I'm a bit late in posting this and note that I'm new to TSM so this worked for me but might not e the way to go... any expert want to validate the following?

Here is what I did to get it work. I removed irrelevant fields

$ sudo cat /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.opt
Code:
SERVERNAME foobar
DOMAIN "/home/jdoe/Documents"

$ sudo cat /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.sys
Code:
Servername                      foobar
VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT /home/jdoe/Documents
INCLUDE "/home/jdoe/Documents/.../*"

That backed up my Documents folder without any other folders outside 'Documents'

Back