Automatic pruning of excfull or excincr log files?

Cheeky

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know how to setup automatic pruning of the excfull or excincr log files?

I know you can set the schedlog and errorlog retentions in the dsm.opt file but i can't find anything in regards to retention of the excfull or excincr logs.

Some of these log files are now too large to open so only option is to delete them.

Appreciate any help

Paul

Script it (for the exchange logs) and run via Windows scheduler, and via the TDP OPT file (for the sched log) the same way you have it for the BA client.

And there is another way - via the tdpexc.cfg file.

Last edited:
Script it (for the exchange logs) and run via Windows scheduler, and via the TDP OPT file (for the sched log) the same way you have it for the BA client.

And there is another way - via the tdpexc.cfg file.

Thanks for the reply.

I have the option in the TDP OPT file for the sched and error log files so that's cool, i did look in the tdpexc.cfg file but could only see the option for the tdpexc.log which by default is set to 60 days but nothing for the excfull or excincr logs unless i am missing something?

As for the Windows scheduler i take it you mean the Windows automated tasks? This is quite tricky here as they do not allow a service to run with no time limit on the password so i would have to keep updating the password, would much prefer a fully automated service like with the rest of the log files from TSM

As for the Windows scheduler I take it you mean the Windows automated tasks? This is quite tricky here as they do not allow a service to run with no time limit on the password so i would have to keep updating the password, would much prefer a fully automated service like with the rest of the log files from TSM

That is a little backward. Things like this should run under a "service or robot" account and is a best practices procedure; and considering that service accounts can have limited access via AD policies. You can always argue this with your AD or Security folks.

That is a little backward. Things like this should run under a "service or robot" account and is a best practices procedure; and considering that service accounts can have limited access via AD policies. You can always argue this with your AD or Security folks.

OK fair enough i can take this up with the AD or security guys (quite tricky being a bank) but back to the original question, is there a way within TSM to prune these files?

I remember seeing a similar question about SQL log files not being pruned but no one really answered the question as such.

Maybe i should give IBM a call to see if there is a way?

... but back to the original question, is there a way within TSM to prune these files?

I remember seeing a similar question about SQL log files not being pruned but no one really answered the question as such.

Maybe i should give IBM a call to see if there is a way?

I haven't found a way other than the scripted method (so far). Go ahead and ask IBM.

IBM confirmed that no pruning of the output file is available.

We have modified the command file to include the following:

for /f "tokens=2-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('date /T') do set month=%%a
for /f "tokens=2-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('date /T') do set year=%%b

And then add the following to the output file:

%YEAR%_%MONTH%.log

This then adds the year and month to the file so that every month it creates a new file but appends to the file until the next month.

This way hopefully the files won't grow so large and we can keep as many as we want for error checking etc then delete them if required.

Thanks again

Back