AS400 TSM client in a Standard TSM Environment?

Silverbell

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone ~ I am new here so this is my first post - yey!!

I have a question about AS400 TSM Clients. I have never worked with AS400 on TSM before but manage a pretty large TSM environment today with about 50 UNIX clients and 200 Windows clients. The company has brought in an AS400 for a primary application and they want me to use My TSM environment to back it up. Is this possible? what is involved for me to do this?

Any input is greatly appreciated ::rolleyes:

hi,
you need to buy and install BRMS on AS400. You will then be able to save everything on the AS400 but the savesys, which can only be managed by AS400 itself.
There is no tsm client on AS400, but you can use BRMS and TSM API and it works fine.
cheers
max

Thank you :redface:

Does this mean that the AS400 can be defined to TSM and backup over the network just like anyother TSM client to the TSM Server Storage Pools?

Are there any special configuration considerations or gotcha's?

Any additional details?

I will have to set this up and I honestly don't know where to start. Or - if i should recommend another backup solution for the AS400.

Thanks Thanks Thanks :rolleyes:

Silverbell

Last edited:
Hi,

While it is true that it works fine, the performance are really poor compared to other platforms. You should have a look at the following figures:

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/service/brms/adsmperf.html

I implemented it a few times but never achieved better performance than those from the figures.

I always recommend to use BRMS (that you need to buy anyway if you want to send backups to TSM server) to a native tape library. This one can for sure be shared (one partition each) with TSM server.

Regards, Olivier.

Thank you to everyone! This was the type of Info I needed. I am going to consider the possibility of partitioning the Tape Library and having the AS400 us BRMS to backup natively to its own partition. This sounds like the most simplistic approach.

Best!

Silverbell

Back