Architecture question

LarryB

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.telstraclear.co.nz
Hi,
If I had a UNIX server (Solaris) and wanted to have 2 TSM servers (load balancing) (version 5.3.4). How would this work with a single tape library?

Would I need another software component that manages the 2 X TSM servers to a single tape library ?

Does each TSM server require seperate fibre channels to the Tape Library ?

Is is possible for different TSM servers to use the same tape library ?

Any good links to TSM site for TSM Enterprise Architecture...

thanks

Hi Larry,

yes, that is possible. You could either use one server as the library manager and the other one as library client, which requires a scsi/fc connection from both servers to the library, or you could use virtual volumes to migrate your data into the tape library. Therefore you need to setup one server with a archive copy group and register the other server as node type=server, on the "client" server you just specify a device class type server and just use that.

Cheers,
Marcus

Larry
This is called Library Sharing - you can google search this as well.
As Marcus suggested - one server needs to be the library client - the other needs to be the library manager. The library manager will have direct fiber connections to the library. Since this is Solaris - you will have to make sure your config files are configured correctly - your st.conf, lib.conf and mt.conf - I do believe thats their names. Refer to the demsg output to see of the OS sees the drives - then its a matter of getting these files configured corrrectly.
The library itself is a "shared" library. You can update this later on if you missed it.
You will need server to server commuications and the correct File type device class to use virtual volumes. Read up on this in the Admin guide.

good luck

But if the intention is to have a True Load Balancing - meaning, the TSM load is shared amongst the two servers INCLUDING driving the library, then TSM Server does not support this directly.

You could also partition the library into two logical libraries (possible with most libs out there). That would give you dedicated resources for each server... just the occasional wait for the bot.
I do think library sharing is what you're looking for, though.

Back