Applying Management Class to Everything

GregE

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Something I'm not quite sure about.

Let's say I have a include/exclude list like this.

include * MC_7
include c:\test_1\*
include c:\test_2\*
exclude d:\prod_1\*
exclude d:\prod_2\*

My question is, will this bind everything to MC_7 (I think it does), or do I also need to put MC_7 on each of my "include" statements?

Does my " include * " also cover systemstate? or do I need an explicit entry:
include.systemstate ALL MC_7

Last edited:
Hi,

yes, you need to add the mgmtclass to every line - TSM uses "first match" - so other rules are not processed.
In your case everything in
include c:\test_1\*
include c:\test_2\*
will be bound to default mgmtclass ...
Which brings me to question - why do not use separate domain for this node with default mgmtclass MC_7 ?

Harry

Thanks. Things like "exclude.compression," (which apply to something no matter where in the include/exclude list) which I worked with a few months ago, made me question it. Any reason I would need the include.systemstate? I think not.

As for mgmt class, I wouldn't think it good practice to have lots of domains, each with a single management class. Is that what you're meaning there?

Last edited:
We have only one backup domain for 1500 clients. We create management classes only for specific types of data.... exchange, SQL, and oracle. These are bound in the options files. All other nodes get the default MC.

The reason we don't use a separate domain for our special nodes are.... we don't want to bind the entire server to the custom MC. We keep our exchange backups for 7 days or 7versions (7/7) but we want to keep our file system files in the standard 16/42 MC.

Does INCLUDE * MGMTCLASS applies to everything, including systemstate?

Does this also apply to everything, or just drives?
INCLUDE "*:*" MGMTCLASS

I think just drives but want to be sure.

Last edited:
Back