ANR8420E DEFINE PATH: An I/O error occurred while accessing drive TAPE0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

edjaffe

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
I'm trying to configure tape resources for a new TSM instance we're bringing up in Linux for z. It's a very simple configuration with four FICON-attached 3590-H11 tape drives in a manual library. The tape drives are attached to the Linux guest. Linux see the drives and I was able to vary them online using the chccwdev command.

I defined the library and drives to TSM. When I try to define the path I get "ANR8420E DEFINE PATH: An I/O error occurred while accessing drive TAPE0." and no other messages. No error codes, no sense codes, nothing.

define path server1 tape0 srctype=server desttype=drive library=manualmount device=/dev/btibm0
ANR2017I Administrator SERVER_CONSOLE issued command: DEFINE PATH server1 tape0 srctype=server desttype=drive library=manualmount
device=/dev/btibm0
ANR8420E DEFINE PATH: An I/O error occurred while accessing drive TAPE0.

Here is my library:

q library manualmount f=d
ANR2017I Administrator SERVER_CONSOLE issued command: QUERY LIBRARY manualmount f=d

Library Name: MANUALMOUNT
Library Type: MANUAL
ACS Id:
Private Category:
Scratch Category:
WORM Scratch Category:
External Manager:
Shared: No
LanFree:
ObeyMountRetention:
Primary Library Manager:
WWN:
Serial Number:
AutoLabel: Yes
Reset Drives: No
Relabel Scratch:
Last Update by (administrator): SERVER_CONSOLE
Last Update Date/Time: 11/05/2011 10:02:26 AM

Here is drive TAPE0:

q drive manualmount tape0 f=d
ANR2017I Administrator SERVER_CONSOLE issued command: QUERY DRIVE manualmount tape0 f=d

Library Name: MANUALMOUNT
Drive Name: TAPE0
Device Type: UNKNOWN
On-Line: Yes
Read Formats:
Write Formats:
Element:
Drive State: UNKNOWN
Volume Name:
Allocated to:
WWN:
Serial Number:
Last Update by (administrator): SERVER_CONSOLE
Last Update Date/Time: 11/05/2011 10:49:33 PM
Cleaning Frequency (Gigabytes/ASNEEDED/NONE): NONE

Linux sees the tape drive:

# lstape
FICON/ESCON tapes (found 4):
TapeNo BusID CuType/Model DevType/Model BlkSize State Op MedState
0 0.0.1500 3590/60 3590/11 auto UNUSED --- UNLOADED

Thinking there might be a permission problem, I set the permissions on the device to match those of the server:

# ls -l /dev/bt*
brw-rw----. 1 tsminst1 tsmsrvrs 252, 0 Nov 6 00:12 btibm0

Anyone seen this before? Any ideas what might be wrong?

Ed Jaffe
Phoenix Software International
El Segundo, CA

Both the library and the drive must be defined before you can define the path. Otherwise, you will get a different error message that says the drive has not yet been defined.

Both the library and the drive must be defined before you can define the path. Otherwise, you will get a different error message that says the drive has not yet been defined.

OK, you have done that. Have you installed the right drivers?

the mismatch of wwn and serial numbers of library and the server could also cause this problem . You could verify if your wwns and serial number on the server matches to that of the library .

SOLVED! (BUT NOT HAPPY!)

RHEL 6 supports FICON channel-attached drives. I can read/write to 3590 tape using native Linux commands such as tar (for backing up Linux files).

Unfortunately, TSM requires FCP/SCSI connected drives. This is a limitation of the IBM tape driver that TSM uses (lin_tape).

When researching the requisites for TSM on Linux, I used the charts entitled "IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Supported Devices for Linux" http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBM_TSM_Supported_Devices_for_Linux.html to be sure our 3590-H tape drives were supported. They are listed as being supported with the IBM device driver; no mention of a FCP/SCSI requirement.

The device driver, available from IBM Fix Central, is lin_taped-1.61.0-rhel6.s390x.rpm. I did not know until I looked at the trace that the driver does not recognize FICON channel-attached drives:

lin_taped Mon Nov 7 22:29:17 2011
/dev/IBMtape opened.
Failed to detect any tape drives.
Failed to detect any changer devices.

I opened PMR 81519,227,000 with IBM on this subject. TSM support confirms that the IBM lin_tape driver supports only FCP/SCSI and not channel attached drives.

:-(

TSM does not support channel attached tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back