ANR8214E Session open with XXXXX failed due to connection failure

asnodgrass

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum group.
I have a Windows client outside a firewall that I am having problems with. Firewall ports 1500, 1501 are open, TCPPORT and TCPADDRESS are both correct in opt file. Firewall logs indicate nothing being blocked when going through the firewall. I can run a manual backup fine, but when the schedule backup is supposed to run it produces the title error. Has anyone ever seen this before?

what is the tsm server and client version, os running both of it? polling or prompted schedule? what dsmerror.log says?

TSM server AIX 5.3 Client Windows 2003 Server SP2 5.3.4 Schedule is prompted. Nothing shows in the dsmerror log or in the dsmsched.log. The above error is found in the activity logs on the TSM server.

NODENAME xxxxxx
* Communications *
COMMMETHOD TCPIP
TCPBUFFSIZE 32
TCPNODELAY Yes
TCPPORT 1500
TCPSERVERADDRESS 10.xxx.xxx.xx
TCPCLIENTADDRESS 12.x.xxx.xxx
TCPWINDOWSIZE 63
LARGECOMMBUFFERS NO
RESOURCEUTILIZATION 5
HTTPPORT 1581
WEBPORTS 1500 1501
SESSIONINIT CLIENT
* Operations *
ERRORLOGNAME dsmerror.log
ERRORLOGRETENTION 30,D
PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE
REPLACE PROMPT
SCHEDLOGNAME dsmsched.log
SCHEDLOGRETENTION 30,D
* QUIET
MANAGEDSERVICES WEBCLIENT SCHEDULE
* Site Dependent *
DATEFORMAT 1
LANGUAGE AMENG
NUMBERFORMAT 1
TIMEFORMAT 1

You will need to ensure that the firewall path between the client and TSM server has been opened as BI-DIRECTIONAL. If only from the client to the server, the backup will not work (although it may work if direction is from server to client). I had this problem when backing up SQL servers behind a firewall. In addition to the firewall, I had to ensure that in the TSM node definition, HLAADDRESS has the tcp/ip address defined and LLAADDRESS has the port 1501 defined.

Hope this helps.

Back