Active Directory

ober67

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just want to check and see if I am backing up everything that is required in order to do a restore of Active Directory.

1 System State

2 and this is where I am not sure entire c:\ ?

or just c:\windows

or c:\windows\system32

thanks

I suggest using ntbackup (or wbadmin for 2k8) for SystemStates. Reason being is that TSM has issues doing doing authoritative restores for AD, the USN's on objects do not increment properly.

We recently upgraded our domain controllers to Server 2008 R2.

On our 2003 server I was using NTBackup for the systemstate backups as it was well documented TSM had issues when it came time for a complete AD restore. Has this issue been resolved in 2008? I know ntbackup has been changed to wbadmin and I have a operation script running right now but I am just curious if this is neccessary.

Thanks

We recently upgraded our domain controllers to Server 2008 R2.

On our 2003 server I was using NTBackup for the systemstate backups as it was well documented TSM had issues when it came time for a complete AD restore. Has this issue been resolved in 2008? I know ntbackup has been changed to wbadmin and I have a operation script running right now but I am just curious if this is neccessary.

Thanks
With 2008, the new version of TSM Client integrates *VERY* well with AD. The SystemState, as a whole, i don't quite understand why it backs up the way it does. But the AD portion is really sophisticated behind the scenes. The BA client can restore deleted objects on the fly!

Back