6.2 server on Linux - DBBackup to FILE dev class?

Bartacus

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi All,

Forgive me if this is an "idiot" question. :) We've recently begun experimenting with a 6.2 TSM server on zLinux. Since we run on zLinux (mainframe Linux), and TSM server doesn't support FICON attached devices (grrrrr), we can't do DB backups to any of our FICON-attached tape devices (IBM 3592 drives, or VTS drives, in our IBM ATL). The question is: can I do full DB backups of the TSM DB to disk via FILE type device classes? I've been trying (with no luck). I know TSM server 5.x quite well, but the DB2 stuff is *very* new to me, as is the zLinux environment.

Anyone else here done disk-based backups of a TSM DB on a 6.x server?

I just ran a quick DBBackup against a file devc (6.2.2.0 server) and it worked fine - what errors are you seeing when you try to run it?

zLinux is going to have file systems, so db backup to a FILE device class should be no problem. I did it at the beginning of the installation a couple of months ago and had no problem.

We have FC connection to the tape library here, but even if it was FICON, wouldn't there be special device files for them on zLinux? And if there are special device files (e.g. /dev/IBMtape0), what would TSM care whether the actual connection was FICON, fibre, or SCSI? TSM just accesses the device file and shouldn't care about the underlying transport.

hi,

i want to know that SLES 11 sp1 on zlinux support TSM 6.2?

tq..

It should be fine with SLES or RHEL, though I'm not sure off-hand exactly which levels. Check the support matrix for the Linux systems.

Back