3590 "K" cartridges

matequiro

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just get four 3590 H1A for my library 3494. I have Imation type K tapes (new ones). I try to used it in my library but I notice that TSM finds that the capacity is 40 GB. I was expected 60 GB (Native Capacity). I ran some backups and the tape was full with 52 GB. I was also expected more. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong ?.. Thanks in advance. Mate

Asa far as I can remember ... when you use different tapes (J, K etc). You need to tell TSM what capicity the tapes are.

When we first implemented TSM, we moved from using the J tapes to the K tapes. Upon first use, it picked the tapes up as being 40Gb, and I'm sure we had to tell TSM, what the capicity of the K tapes was?

I'm sure I have some info lying around somewhere.

I'll see if I can hunt it out and post it here.

Ben

Hi Ben ... I would apreciate any help. I changed the estimate capacity to 60 GB and I got the same result only 52GB of data in the tape. Mate

At my location we have the 3590-E1A tape drives and use the K type tapes. As I understand it the K tapes are only the extended length tapes NOT the higher density ones. Normally, I can get between 50-60Gb of storage on a tape. However, be aware that what you store on the tape will directly effect the storage capacity. For example, we find the the 3590-E1A tapes REALLY like oracle dbf file backups. During those backups I can easily get up to 180Gb per tape becasue of the nature of Oracle DBF files.

So , I guess I am telling you that your experiences are in line with mine, and depends upon the data stored upon the tape. :)

Back