2 Servers trying to prompt schedule to 1 client

travelsick

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Server1 and Server2 are trying to each prompt a client for scheduled backup/archive operations.

Everytime Server2 prompts, the backup starts and fails for reasons we're still trying to figure out. Every indicator in the dsmerror.log (one combined log) seems to suggest that the client is trying to reference a cloptset defined on Server1, rather than Server2, regardless of which server is initiating the prompted schedule.

There is no dsmcad running, but rather the client has 2 dsmc sched processes running 24/7.

root 409848 307364 0 Nov 07 - 6:42 /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmc sched
root 528412 417876 0 Nov 19 - 3:15 /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmc sched -optfile=/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.opt.vob

The second dsmc sched is referencing the server2 dsm.opt file (dsm.opt.vob).

My question is would this configuration actually work? Or do you need the two dsmcad's to separate out the two servers? For some reason or another, the company decided to go this route with the two 24/7 dsmc sched's instead of dsmcad's. I'm still waiting on a change request to separate out the schedlogs and errorlogs to different server-specific log files and to have QUIET added. The current schedlog is 1700+ pages (ugh) and near impossible to efficiently work with it.

The dsm.sys, dsm.opt, and dsm.opt.vob files do seem to be configured properly

dsm.sys
SErvername Server1
COMMmethod TCPip
TCPPort 1500
TCPServeraddress xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
nodename client1

SErvername Server2
COMMmethod TCPip
TCPServeraddress yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
nodename client1
SCHEDMODE PROMPTED

dsm.opt
servername Server1
Preservelastaccessdate YES
Domain ALL-LOCAL

dsm.opt.vob
servername Server2
SUBDIR YES
Domain /vob

What does ps -ef|grep dsmc retrun?

Edit:

Yes, you have shown the output of ps -ef.

I recall that I had issues using plain dsmc for scheduling backups. Try using dsmcad instead.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I don't have access to the client. I have to request it all via email and wait for the guy on the other end, often a day later
which is making the diagnostics pretty cumberson.

Thanks, moon. Seems that two dsmcads controlling the dsmc scheds would be healthier for the overall system anyway.

Back