Changing TSM server instance password on win2008r2

rvillano

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
PREDATAR Control23

Hello,

I am a bit confused as to the possible issues if the password for the TSM instance needs to be changed for some reason. The reason for my concern is due to what issues I might have with the db2 tsm server database running under windows 2008r2. As I recall in AIX if you change the instance system password there requires a command in DB2 to change the password for the DB2 manager otherwise the instance wont start.

Are there issues in a windows server for changing the password? also I believe for TSM in a windows enviroment the user account for the TSM instance MUST be a local account and NOT a domain account. is this also true?

I would really appreciate anyone's experience and comments relating to these questions.

Best Regards,
Bob...

PREDATAR Control23

Are you talking about the TSM admin account?

If you are, the admin account on the TSM server instance itself has nothing to do with the DB2 instance that controls the TSM instance.

The TSM instance was created under the non-admin (Windows case) account that has DB2 control (db2admin or something similar). When TSM starts up, the internal admin account has nothing to do with the DB2 account.

Now, if you are talking about the account that was used to bring up the DB2 AND the TSM instance, changing the password has to be done from the DB2 side.

PREDATAR Control23

Hi Ed,

Yes I am referring to the TSM admin account. during the install process a local account is created for example "tsminst1" this local account is associated with the DB2ADMIN and DB2USERS groups in addition this account is also used to create the TSM server services entry for a windows service. So I was not sure if I were to change the password for the local account of "tsminst1" would I create an issue where the db2 database wouldn't start? and if I could use a windows domain account to start the instance?

Yes the account that is used to bring up DB2 and the tsm instance.... what command is needed on the DB2 side?

PREDATAR Control23

Changing the password for a user ID

From the DB2 command-line processor, type the following command: db2=> connect <database> to user <user_ID> change password

Follow the prompts

PREDATAR Control23

Just want to clarify something from this tread if I may as I have a ISP 7.1.7 upgrade to do on an old Windows 2008 R2 server running TSM 6.3.6. This is a server we inherited from a different support vendor and were never provided the password for .\tsminst1 .

The services on this server are configured below..

1531751361717.png

All pretty standard..

Now, if I halt TSM, change 'tsminst1's' password locally via the win OS and then replicate that password change to both of the services above, will everything come up normally? I am presuming I do not need to do anything password related within DB2 as its service is controlled by the OS user tsminst1 as appose to some configs which might have a db2admin user controlling the 'DB2 - DBTSM1 - SERVER1' service?

Thanks