Backup using TDP VE vs Baclient VMware VM

HB95

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

Today, on vmware environment ( vm windows), with File Restore functions on TDP VE, on which case could i need or be an avantage to use agent baclient on VM ?

Thansk for informations,

PREDATAR Control23

So, just so I understand...

You are backing up a windows VM via the Data Protection for VE method within a VMware environment?

If so, and utilizing the latest versions of the DP for VE API software you will be able to utilize the File Restore feature available to you via a web url GUI interface, so long as the Windows vm sits within a domain. Domain administrator credentials are required by this feature to gain access to the virtual machine at the file level. (The domain admin user used must be a member of the local admins group on the vm's in question)

If you're backing up the same vm using a BA client you are in effect backing up the same data and are then essentially in the hands of data deduplication and compression to save you Storage Pool space. A little counter productive unless there is a business requirement to do both snapshot and file level concurrently.

Utilizing one method or the other is more efficient on storage. Both can be accessed via WEB URL's if setup correctly for ease of access to the end user if need be.

PREDATAR Control23

Yes, backup for most windows VM are done via the Data Protection for VE method within a VMware environnement, but some backup keep using agent baclient for some windows VM like fileserver.

About storage view, i 'am using dudeplication on backend, so for two methods i supposed that space using should be globaly identical.

But , i understand that with baclient, i can let windows user with low credentiel ( not domain administrator) to restore file and not with File restore feature ?

PREDATAR Control23

Yes, backup for most windows VM are done via the Data Protection for VE method within a VMware environnement, but some backup keep using agent baclient for some windows VM like fileserver.

About storage view, i 'am using dudeplication on backend, so for two methods i supposed that space using should be globaly identical.

But , i understand that with baclient, i can let windows user with low credentiel ( not domain administrator) to restore file and not with File restore feature ?

Hi,

The domain admin credentials are only ever entered once into the DP for VE UI on initial setup of the file restore function. The end user will never have any visibility of it if you wish them to use the File Restore WEB GUI. The restriction to this being that all of the vm's within scope of the backups on the vCenter must be in the same domain as the domain admin credentials used.

If you wish not to utilize this method of file level restore via vm snapshots then using the BA Client locally on the vm is the way to go. It's often a preference for File & Print servers for many people. This method does not require the use of the 'domain' administrator to restore data via the local ba client gui. (dsm.exe).