Spectrum Protect in the Cloud/Object Storage

BaR

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hey,

I would like to know if anyone here has implemented or got to work with a TSM backing up to a *PRIVATE* Cloud/Object Storage set by his organization and can provide some information about it:
How did the implementetion go (Storage-wise and TSM-wise)? Have you faced any specific difficulties in the process and how did you overcome them?
If relevant - Have you implemented any special DR architecture in the process that wasn't possible without the benefits you get from the private cloud architecture?
What's your general toughts about the Spectrum Protect in the Cloud (Backup windows, Performance and so on)?

P.S - Any relevant information from people who implemented or got to work with TSM backing up to a Public Cloud will also be greatly appreciated.

I'll be really grateful for any information/thoughts shared,

Bar

PREDATAR Control23

I posted a while back about performance issues with Object or Cloud storage. Backups are fast but restores are terrible.

IBM advised us NOT to proceed until they fix the issues. This may be fixed with TSM 7.2 or later.

PREDATAR Control23

Can you please supply the specific post?

PREDATAR Control23

Oh i see, so thats pretty much an official IBM statement to hold with that for now?
Does what you are saying applies to both public/private solutions?

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks a lot for your help!

PREDATAR Control23

Echoing what moon-buddy reports, we did some testing with larger files and were getting ~20mb/sec on backup stgpool to S3 and ~2mb/sec on restores (v7.1.5). Have also tried to get VTL working with glacier, but not much luck with that either.

PREDATAR Control23

Well, I upgraded to v7.1.7, set up a cloud container stg pool using AWS S3, and doing some testing. It works, but backups are rediculously slow. I'm seeing 1-5 mb/sec and "normal" backups get at least 20-30 mb/sec going to tape. I'm sure much of this is due to compression, encryption and dedup, but 1-5 mb/sec is not even usable. According to IBM's doc on v7.1.7, "backup operations from the server to the cloud, and restore operations from the cloud to the server, occur more quickly than in earlier releases". Um, I don't think so.

Anybody else try this yet? Is there something I'm forgetting? Maybe the -TURBO option perhaps?

PREDATAR Control23

I'm sure much of this is due to compression, encryption and dedup
If it's due to those 3, then I'd check CPU, memory and disk I/O usage for the DB and log directories and would also see sub-par performance backing up to a directory container pool.

Can you manually copy a large amount of small files from the TSM Server machine to your cloud storage to see how it compares? If that's good, then it's either Spectrum Protect or your config, if that's slow as well, then it's due to something else.

PREDATAR Control23

Well, I upgraded to v7.1.7, set up a cloud container stg pool using AWS S3, and doing some testing. It works, but backups are rediculously slow. I'm seeing 1-5 mb/sec and "normal" backups get at least 20-30 mb/sec going to tape. I'm sure much of this is due to compression, encryption and dedup, but 1-5 mb/sec is not even usable. According to IBM's doc on v7.1.7, "backup operations from the server to the cloud, and restore operations from the cloud to the server, occur more quickly than in earlier releases". Um, I don't think so.
Might be worthwhile to open a PMR if you have not done so already.