Backups/Sched inventory

cosmic

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello TSM admins,

I work with TSM 6, new to TSM. I've come and found everything already configured, backups schedules and TSM server.
I'm supposed to prepare a document/inventory of all the backups and state of things. I don't know a lot about TSM. What I'm supposed to write in my report?

Every hint or idea would be mych appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

PREDATAR Control23

My recommendation would be to upgrade your TSM Server and Operation Server to 7.1.5 of above. The dashboard when you login will give you a good overview of the shape of things: http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledg...srv.solutions/r_ssdisk_chklist_mon_daily.html

Also setup the Operation Center to email you the "General Operations" report daily. That's a good executive summary of current state, and it includes an attachment that has the same summary, plus an exception report (failed backups, failed processes, etc.

Other than that, without knowing much about TSM, it will be hard to do, but things to look for are:
- make sure that all schedules run successfully (HELP QUERY EVENT)

You could use this query to get the last successful backup by node (that's included in the "General Operations" report if your software version was current):
Code:
SELECT NODE_NAME,min(BACKUP_END) as "Last successful backup" from filespaces group by node_name order by min(backup_end)

A blank date means no successful backup ever for that node.

PREDATAR Control23

My recommendation would be to upgrade your TSM Server and Operation Server to 7.1.5 of above. The dashboard when you login will give you a good overview of the shape of things: http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledg...srv.solutions/r_ssdisk_chklist_mon_daily.html

Also setup the Operation Center to email you the "General Operations" report daily. That's a good executive summary of current state, and it includes an attachment that has the same summary, plus an exception report (failed backups, failed processes, etc.

Other than that, without knowing much about TSM, it will be hard to do, but things to look for are:
- make sure that all schedules run successfully (HELP QUERY EVENT)

You could use this query to get the last successful backup by node (that's included in the "General Operations" report if your software version was current):
Code:
SELECT NODE_NAME,min(BACKUP_END) as "Last successful backup" from filespaces group by node_name order by min(backup_end)

If there are application backups(TDP/API) it could also be it's unsupported field for that tool.

PREDATAR Control23

Code:

Will this work for my question I just posted "Q N that has no file space" or is there a better command for just empty files space.
I don't think querying 5,000 server would hurt, right?

PREDATAR Control23

Will this work for my question I just posted "Q N that has no file space" or is there a better command for just empty files space.
I don't think querying 5,000 server would hurt, right?
No, my query only works for existing filespaces. So if a node never backed up, there are no filespaces. You'd want something like this:
Code:
select (node_name) from nodes where node_name NOT IN (select distinct(node_name) from filespaces where nodes.node_name=filespaces.node_name)