Cannot deactivate data for baclient

ChrB

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Website
www.buchenauer.net
PREDATAR Control23

Dear list,

I am trying to decommission a baclient by using the "deactviate data" command in TSM 7.1. The baclient is in a replication, so I cannot use "decommission node" (also, management would like to keep the replication going because of licensing costs).

When I issue the deactivate data command, the error "ANR3420E node is not a valid application type node" pops up.
I am unable to get any documentation about this command; the only bit I have found says that this command is for Oracle tdp only.

How can I deactivate all the data on a baclient ?

Thank you.

PREDATAR Control23

Dear list,

I am trying to decommission a baclient by using the "deactviate data" command in TSM 7.1. The baclient is in a replication, so I cannot use "decommission node" (also, management would like to keep the replication going because of licensing costs).

When I issue the deactivate data command, the error "ANR3420E node is not a valid application type node" pops up.
I am unable to get any documentation about this command; the only bit I have found says that this command is for Oracle tdp only.

How can I deactivate all the data on a baclient ?

Thank you.

try "dsmc delete backup" (see the help).
Prior deleting by this way you must authorize the client to delete backup
update node node_name backdelete=yes

PREDATAR Control23

I am trying to decommission a baclient by using the "deactviate data" command in TSM 7.1.
upload_2016-7-21_9-19-9.png

You will need to do like fidel suggested and use the DELETE BACKUP command. And use the -todate option to only delete files older than that date, as well as "-deltype=inactive". You don't want to delete active versions (typically).

What is it you want to do? Do you want to get rid of older versions or get rid of all the data? If the former, you could adjust the retention. If other nodes share the same retention and don't want to mess with that, then create a new policy domain, with the retention you like, and move that node to that new policy domain, and expiration will take care of it. That's probably the better approach, because otherwise you will end up with data you want to get rid of in a few months time.

PREDATAR Control23

All,

Thank you for the tipps. So "deactivate data" is indeed for Oracle tdp only and can't be used for baclient. Thanks for confirming.

The goal is to completely remove the baclient node (retire server) from TSM while respecting the particular retention periods (some data must be retained for 10 years). As the node is in replication (we need to keep two copies of the data), the command "decommission node" cannot be used - I was trying to overcome this by using "deactivate data", which would remove data after the expiration hits.

So I will most likely manually delete the filespaces according to their retention periods.

PREDATAR Control23

The goal is to completely remove the baclient node (retire server) from TSM while respecting the particular retention periods (some data must be retained for 10 years). As the node is in replication (we need to keep two copies of the data), the command "decommission node" cannot be used - I was trying to overcome this by using "deactivate data", which would remove data after the expiration hits.

So I will most likely manually delete the filespaces according to their retention periods.
Sounds like you actually want to use decommission node. It doesn't delete the data right away. It just marks all the active data as inactive so it's eligible for expiration once the retention has elapsed. Once all the data has expired, and only once it has all expired will the server delete the filespaces and the node.

More info:
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.5/srv.reference/r_cmd_node_decommission.html

Because it doesn't work on replicated node, you would have to REMOVE REPLNODE to stop the replication.
When you issue the REMOVE REPLNODE command, the data that belongs to a client node is not deleted. To delete file space data that belongs to the client node, issue the DELETE FILESPACE command for each of the file spaces that belong to the node. If you do not want to keep the client node definition, issue the REMOVE NODE command. To delete file space data and the client node definition, issue DELETE FILESPACE and REMOVE NODE on the target replication server.

You would also have to decommission the node on both the target and the source.

PREDATAR Control23

I was trying to overcome this by using "deactivate data", which would remove data after the expiration hits.
After re-reading your post, you can actually use the client EXPIRE command: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.3/client/r_cmd_expire.html

That would change all the active objects you specify to inactive. Then they will expire following the retention. It will not delete the filespace or the node, but it will get rid of the data over time.

PREDATAR Control23

That would change all the active objects you specify

I am struggling with the syntax. I can
expire a given file: expire -objtype=file \\log02\c$\file.txt
expire one level of directories: expire -objtype=file \\log02\c$\*

But I seem unable to expire all files in all subdirectories at once. The documentation only explains how to expire all files in one given directory.

I'd like to expire an entire partition - like "the whole drive D:" - at once. Can this be done ?

nb - for partitions/drives with no prolonged retention period I will most likely use the "delete backup" command. But for the partitions with mixed data/mixed retention periods in different directories I would like to use the expire command.

PREDATAR Control23

expire one level of directories: expire -objtype=file \\log02\c$\*

But I seem unable to expire all files in all subdirectories at once. The documentation only explains how to expire all files in one given directory.

I'd like to expire an entire partition - like "the whole drive D:" - at once. Can this be done ?
Looks like it you cannot process subdirectories with "-subdir=yes" like you can for backup/archive/query/restore. This option is not listed in the list of options that can be used with that command:
upload_2016-7-25_7-29-45.png

You could use the filelist option. Use this query to make the list:
dsmc query backup d:\* -su=yes > c:\list.txt
Open c:\list.txt in Excel and delete all the columns except the "File" column and also delete the column heading. So you would be left with a list of file that you can use with the filelist option.

PREDATAR Control23

You could use the filelist option.

I built a script which
- dsmc query filespace: creates a list of all filespaces on a given node
- dsmc query backup: creates a list of all backed up objects in each filespace
- dsmc expire: deactivates all objects in aforementioned list

There remain a few manual tasks which need to be done after the last objects expired:
- deletion of objects which the script could not deactivate (eg Windows SystemState)
- removal of the node & its replica from the TSM servers
A server script may help by producing a list of nodes with fewer than x objects in its backup or so. I'll have our DBA having a look at the tsm db.
For now, this "case" is closed. Thank you for your assistance.