Disk Storage Pool crashed

RGali

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello All,

The external storage pool has crashed and its not recognized by windows and TSM. Since this is the primary storage all my backup are failing.

please help on how to convert my copy pool to primary pool so that I can run my backups directly to tape.

Thank You.

PREDATAR Control23

please help on how to convert my copy pool to primary pool so that I can run my backups directly to tape.
You cannot convert a pool from copy to primary.

So you need to create a new primary pool (HELP DEFINE DEVCLASS and HELP DEFINE STGPOOL). Your new primary pool can be either disk or tape depending on what you have available and you will need to update the backup copy group(s) to point to this new pool (HELP UPDATE COPYGROUP and HELP ACTIVATE POLICY).

The external storage pool has crashed and its not recognized by windows and TSM.
You may already know this, but TSM won't be able to see it, unless Windows can. So you need to make those disk visible to Windows again before you can try to use them in TSM. If the data in the pool is corrupt, you will need to restore it from your copy pool (HELP RESTORE STGPOOL).

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks you for you suggestions. I am going to create a new primary pool now.

PREDATAR Control23

Hello,

thank you for the help, that worked.. i have created a new policy domain with new policy set and copy group.
created a new stgpool (tape) and assigned it to the policy set.

I am unable to find the total tapes in the lib. using the Q libvolume libname command.. is there anything that I am missing?? please provide any alternate to find the checked in tapes in the lib.

Also, is it possible to temporarily disable the previous stg pools??

PREDATAR Control23

how do I assign volumes which were assigned to copy storage pool to the new storage pool? i mean, I wan to use the same old tapes that I have, the tapes in the lib are scratch.
Please suggest.

PREDATAR Control23

The new tape pool will use scratch tapes as it needs them.

PREDATAR Control23

how do I assign volumes which were assigned to copy storage pool to the new storage pool?
You can't change their assignment. Once a tape is assigned to a pool, it remains there until the data expired and space reclaimed OR deleted from the pool.

Those copy tape are very valuable now, you can use them to restore your disk pool. Ideally, you should rebuild your diskpool, and use those copy pool tapes to restore it.

If getting scratch tapes is more important than the data on those tapes, then you can delete those volumes from the copy pool, they will return scratch. HELP DELETE VOLUME
Once you delete the volumes from the copy pool, the data is gone, you cannot revert this operation, the data will be lost forever.

PREDATAR Control23

Thank you, I am fine with it. I have ran the delete volume command but the volume status shows pending, I think the retention period of that volume is not finished yet.

so once the retention period expires and the volume status shows empty will I then be able to assign the volumes to the new storage pool.

PREDATAR Control23

I have deleted the volumes and when I tried to define the volume to the new stg pool I get the following error.

tsm> define volume tapepool wb0006 access=readwrite
ANR2347E DEFINE VOLUME: Volume name "wb0006" is ambiguous; resolves to multiple defined volume names.
ANS8001I Return code 10.

tsm> help ANR2347E
ANR2347E Command: Volume name "volume name" is ambiguous; resolves to
multiple defined volume names.

Explanation: The command shown was entered with a volume name pattern
that matches more than one volume. The command can only process a single
volume.

System action: The command is not executed.

User response: Reissue the command with a more specific volume name.

Can someone please tell me what needs to be done here?? I have deleted the volume and I just cant assign the volume to a new storage pool.

PREDATAR Control23

I then be able to assign the volumes to the new storage pool.
I would not assign them, let the storage pool pick them from scratch, less headache, less work now, less work later. But that's up to you.

The error says the volume names you used are ambiguous, use HELP DEFINE VOLUME for the proper syntax.

PREDATAR Control23

ok..

So I have left them and started a Manual backup from the client and it failed saying to storage space.

Any suggestions please

PREDATAR Control23

Well instead i have created a new policy set, copy group, policy domain and assigned the new storage pool to this policy set. Its activated and i have assigned clients to it..

I just cant assign the volumes to the new storage pool as they defined to the old o storage pool. I did deleted the volumes but still no luck.

PREDATAR Control23

hello, i have also updated the old policy set to the new stgpool and I am still cant run the bkps because no tapes were defined to this storage pool. i am not sure what Syntax i am missing.

Any suggestions please??

PREDATAR Control23

UPDATE:

my backups are now requesting for tapes, I do have 3 scratch media in the lib. but I cant change the status of these tapes to scratch. below is the status of one volume.

Volume Name: VOL0021
Storage Pool Name: TAPEPOOL
Device Class Name: TAPE
Estimated Capacity: 0.0 M
Scaled Capacity Applied:
Pct Util: 0.0
Volume Status: Empty
Access: Read/Write
Pct. Reclaimable Space: 0.0
Scratch Volume?: No
In Error State?: No
Number of Writable Sides: 1
Number of Times Mounted: 0
Write Pass Number: 0
Approx. Date Last Written:
Approx. Date Last Read:
Date Became Pending:
Number of Write Errors: 0
Number of Read Errors: 0
Volume Location:
Volume is MVS Lanfree Capable : No
Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
Last Update Date/Time: 04/30/2016 23:00:09
Begin Reclaim Period:
End Reclaim Period:
Drive Encryption Key Manager:

Please suggest??

PREDATAR Control23

my backups are now requesting for tapes, I do have 3 scratch media in the lib. but I cant change the status of these tapes to scratch. below is the status of one volume.
That statement is contradicting. A tape can be private or scratch, if you have 3 scratch tapes, you can't change them to scratch they are already scratch.

The tape you showed up there is a private volume that was defined to the storage pool tape pool using the DEFINE VOLUME command, you can tell by "Scratch Volume?: No" (this means it did not come from scratch). Because the tape is empty, you can change it to scratch if you want, just need to delete it from the store pool (HELP DELETE VOLUME) and update it to scratch (HELP UPDATE LIBVOLUME).

You should really consider taking training because with the type of questions you are asking, I can tell you need more training. TSM can be complex at times, small mistakes can cause you a lot of problems. For example, you already lost a lot of backup data by loosing the disk pool without restoring it.

PREDATAR Control23

Yeah.. I know, i did undergo training and this is my first time working on TSM. I am completely new to this subject and it is very confusing subject to me..

Thanks for the help though, i am a bit better than before, well i think I am.