File search function in TDP for VE

Jonanotoko

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi all,

Hope we got TDP4VE expert around. I've some time objective issue in recovering file (granular) from VM backup. Currently the only restore way I know of using TDP4VE is to mount the backup as a virtual disk using the recovery agent. However when the user is unsure of the file/folder name and when they last saw it, this can be extremely time consuming. I would mount the latest backup, search through it, and if I don't find it, dismount it, and mount the day before. Imagine if the file I'm looking for was from a month ago....that would be 30 mount, dismount, and search. Is there any search function built in to TDP4VE so that I can just fire up a search for a file name?

Regards

PREDATAR Control23

You can do that if you have version 7.1.3. Here is a presentation on this new functionality:

PREDATAR Control23

The files in the VM-guests are not indexed in any way so to search for files on a snapshot you have to mount in even in the new self-service file level restore portal. If the video says otherwise and I'm wrong on this, can you please tell me roughly which minute in the video?

PREDATAR Control23

However when the user is unsure of the file/folder name and when they last saw it
Off topic, but if the user doesn't know the file/folder name, how can they know the file is missing or they need an earlier version?

PREDATAR Control23

The files in the VM-guests are not indexed in any way so to search for files on a snapshot you have to mount in even in the new self-service file level restore portal. If the video says otherwise and I'm wrong on this, can you please tell me roughly which minute in the video?
There's a demo just passed 7:00. While in the demo, he picks a file, we see a search bar in the upper right corner. BTW, I have not tried it, I just saw that in the video, I don' t know if it searches just the current directory or if it also searches subdirectories.

Edit to add: The snapshot still needs to be mounted like you said.

PREDATAR Control23

There is actually a video just on finding and restoring files in 7.1.3