Questions on retention

fadzlirot

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
hi, just a few simple questions to confirm my understanding of the TSM retention. I have read a few on the retention but I need to make sure i understand it correctly.

OOpCPi3.png
refering to this image, the backup retention is set to 30 days.
Q1.Does that mean the file i backup today will be the ACTIVE copy for 30 days and change into INACTIVE 30 days later? Assuming this is the last backup i have done.

Eq3pTVX.png
This is the management class the domain is on.
Q2. If the same files is being backup everyday (i am using the selective option) , there will be 2 versions of the same file that will be mark as ACTIVE? all other other copy that is more than 2 backups old will change into inactive.

Q3. After the file become INACTIVE, TSM will still keep the files for another 30 days before it is gone because of expiration?

Q4. If the file is deleted from the client server, TSM will keep 1 version of the deleted files for 60 days?

I hope my questions is clear enough to be understood. Thanks.

First, before answering the questions. Active files never expire, retention only applies to inactive files.
Second, when you backup a new version of the same file, the previous one becomes inactive, the latest one is now the active.

Q1 - No, refer to my first statement

Q2 - No, the most recent version is the active, older versions are inactive. You keep 2 versions total. So if you do a selective daily, you have 2 copies of that file, which means you can only restore the last 2 days.

Q3 - Yes, unless you exceed the number of versions. So it expires when you exceed either the retention or the number of version, whichever comes first. In your case, with only 2 versions, you may only have 2 days worth if the files changes daily or if you do selectives. That's why you should do incrementals daily and not selectives.

Q4 - Yes.

Thanks for the reply. I have another confusion.

What is the difference between the "domain backup retention", and "number of days to keep inactive versions" in the management classes.

If i have 365days on domain backup retention, and 30days in the number of days to keep inactive versions, how long exactly the inactive versions take to be expired?

The server uses the backup retention value to manage inactive versions of files when any of the following conditions occur:
- A file is rebound to a new management class, but neither the new management class nor the default management class contains a backup copy group.

- The management class to which a file is bound no longer exists, and the default management class does not contain a backup copy group.

- The backup copy group is deleted from the management class to which a file is bound and the default management class does not contain a backup copy group.

...If i have 365days on domain backup retention, and 30days in the number of days to keep inactive versions, how long exactly the inactive versions take to be expired?

If the above condition are encounter, the data will be kept for 365 days.

If the condition are not met, the inactive version will be kept for 30 days.

Good Luck,
Sias

The server uses the backup retention value to manage inactive versions of files when any of the following conditions occur:
- A file is rebound to a new management class, but neither the new management class nor the default management class contains a backup copy group.

- The management class to which a file is bound no longer exists, and the default management class does not contain a backup copy group.

- The backup copy group is deleted from the management class to which a file is bound and the default management class does not contain a backup copy group.

If the above condition are encounter, the data will be kept for 365 days.

If the condition are not met, the inactive version will be kept for 30 days.

Good Luck,
Sias

Does this means once the a file becomes inactive, it will follow the "number of days to keep inactive versions" in management classes? and not the "domain backup retention" that i set when i created that policy domain?

Is Q COPY is the accurate actual retention for the inactive files inside the policy?
when i created this policy, I set the backup retention to 2555 days in the domain backup retention.

wiKSVng.png

Code:
tsm: TSM_MAB>q copy MABL3DCWQTMDB_MONTHLY_WINDOWS

Policy        Policy        Mgmt          Copy          Versions     Versions       Retain      Retain
Domain        Set Name      Class         Group             Data         Data        Extra        Only
Name                        Name          Name            Exists      Deleted     Versions     Version
---------     ---------     ---------     ---------     --------     --------     --------     -------
MABL3DCW-     ACTIVE        STANDARD      STANDARD             2            1           30          60
QTMDB_M-
ONTHLY_-
WINDOWS
MABL3DCW-     STANDARD      STANDARD      STANDARD             2            1           30          60
QTMDB_M-
ONTHLY_-
WINDOWS

Back