Querying/Deleting VM Backups stored on an NFS Filespace

ILCattivo

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have system whereby VM backups have been backed up to a Linux proxy node of some sort but all I can see is the NFS FilesSpace assocaited to that Proxy via the query cmd 'q file <PROXY> *'

Displays as

Node Name Filespace Name FSID Platform Filespace Type
<PROXY> /mnt/VM_BACKUPS-01 1 Linux86 NFS

The occupancey of this Filespace is in the TB's, which adds up, but what I need to do is drill down to the individual VM's within it in order to query/delete them?

Can someone tell me how this is done via the syntax, if at all possible please?

Many Thanks

I want to make sure I understand what you are doing before I reply. Are you saying you have nfs mounted a VMware file system, and using that to do your backups? As opposed to using TSM for Virtual Environments to backup the VMs?

I want to make sure I understand what you are doing before I reply. Are you saying you have nfs mounted a VMware file system, and using that to do your backups? As opposed to using TSM for Virtual Environments to backup the VMs?

Hi rowl,

Yep, This is not the TSM4VE method of backing up virtual machines within a VMWare environment.

I am quite versed in the TSM4VE arena, however I have recently inherited an old legacy TSM system, or more like it's been thrown on my lap to sort out! and I am just not familiar in how they've been backing up their VM environment.

Here's what I do know... (The Facts)

There are 3 TSM (proxy) nodes, one of which I highlighted in the op, backing up Virtual Machines to an NFS mount located on a Net-App device I believe. All I need to know is how to drill down further into that NFS filespace to give me the individual vm's? If that is at all possible? I am led to believe this method of backup was setup by a 3rd Party which we no longer have a support contract with. !!!

Thanks for taking the time to reply and query my post.

Cheers

Are they backed up the datastore as a filesystem using the backup client? If so, you should be able to use the TSM Client to view/delete them using the proxy used for the backup. I'd suggest using the GUI or the Webclient to do this, since you may not know the directory structure, it will be easier to drill down with the GUI as you figure out the structure.

Are they backed up the datastore as a filesystem using the backup client? If so, you should be able to use the TSM Client to view/delete them using the proxy used for the backup. I'd suggest using the GUI or the Webclient to do this, since you may not know the directory structure, it will be easier to drill down with the GUI as you figure out the structure.

Ah ha... Now we're getting somewhere... Spot on marclant, the FileSpace Names match the Datastore names in vCentre, so yes they are indeed backing up a whole datastore via each Proxy node.
I'll see if I can connect to one of the proxy nodes via the webclient and if they havn't set that up then I'll have to see if I can access it via a BA Client from another server...

Many Thanks

If that is the case, this means you could also exclude certain directories in the datastore so that they aren't backed up. By excluding them, they will be expired the next time a backup runs, so that will have 2 effects, get rid of them and not back them up again in the future.

Looks like your original question has been answered. I am curious, have any restores of these VMs been tested successfully? If you are backing up the VMs as files while they are actively running I would think they would be in a very inconsistent state. Not to mention that most likely every backup will be like a full backup since you can't leverage CBT this way.

Looks like your original question has been answered. I am curious, have any restores of these VMs been tested successfully? If you are backing up the VMs as files while they are actively running I would think they would be in a very inconsistent state. Not to mention that most likely every backup will be like a full backup since you can't leverage CBT this way.

Hi rowl,

I've since discovered that the backup method for Virtual Machines in this particular environment is using something called Netapp Virtual Storage Console located as a snap-in within vCentre. From here I can see the daily/weekly schedules, the 3 Proxy nodes described earlier which are backing up the datastores and also within those scheduled jobs the actual individual VM entities linked to the 3 proxy nodes.

So from here I can see the information I require in respect of whats being backed up and what I can restore, what I am unsure about is where I actually go about deleting the individual VM entities.

I can actually see a 'delete' option within this Netapp snap-in console, but what I don't really know at this stage is what its going to delete, as two things are highlighted in two windows! Both the Proxy Node schedule and the vm entity. I just want to delete the vm entity and not touch the schedule or datastore backup.

I am proceeding with extreme caution until I find out more information and understand what exactly this 'delete' option does.

Back