Non-hyphenated outputs to file

sandragon

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this problem has been brought up before but I couldn't find anything on it.

I'm required to output our daily backup exceptions, which we query with the following from a shell script:

dsmadmc -id=adminname -password=adminpass -dataonly=yes "q event * * begind=today-1 exc=yes"

When run from a batch call at the command line, the outputs of schedules and server names become hyphenated. I'm sure most of you are familiar with this:
05/02/15 18:00:00 05/02/15 18:00:37 ORACLE_SERVE- SERVDB101_OR- Failed 1
R101_FULL ACLE

Even using the -outfile command retains the hyphens.

The same query from a large shell window removes the hyphens. OC also does not show the hyphens if the command line window is large enough.

05/02/15 18:00:00 05/02/15 18:00:37 ORACLE_SERVER101_FULL SERVDB101_ORACLE Failed 1

Is there a way to tell TSM to ignore column sizes when outputting to a file or when called from crontab?

I've been looking high and low for some option for this and have yet to find one. Anyone find a way around this without a complicated script to mash the lines together?

Option '-tab' does the magic. Or you can use '-coma' but in my opinion tabs can be parsed easier

If you send the output to a file, it won't hyphenate it either.

Sorry about the slow reply on my end.
marclant: when I try to send the output to a file, I still get hyphenation.

Let me try the -tab output that smajl suggested.

The -tab option formatted it in such a way I can grep out what I need. Thank you all for the input.

Back