Optimal size on virtual volumes in storagepool

dojabergen

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We are about to change backup media for our Oracle RMAN backups. So far, we have used LTO4 tapes. Now we will use disk. However, what is the preferred size of the volumes in a stgpool with devclass=file.
Is it the size of individual database files or the total size of the database to determine this?
Pls give me some recommendations.
The IBM TSM documentation has little/no information about this.
Thanks in advance

If you follow the guide I had followed, I set my "size" to the raw capacity of the tape you are emulating. But this is for VTL.

In my environment for DEVCLASS=FILE, I have setup the file size to 100 GiB (not GB but GiB) with Data Domain as my back end storage. You can adjust accordingly (higher or lower) depending on what you think (or see) gives you a faster backup/restore capability.

But I will start with 100 GiB.

The manual also has some additional info to help calculate the right size for the environment:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowl...m.ibm.itsm.perf.doc/r_ptg_strpoolvolsize.html
Hi!!
Thank you for responding so fast, and the link you sent gives valuable information.
I have 40 GB StorWize disk allocated for this storagepool When you propose 100 GiB size on the volume, ie approx. 40 volumes.
I suppose that that size is too large since the file device class allows only one session or process to write to a volume at a time.
We do not use collocation and will have preallocated volumes.
Could you pls. comment this?

Thank you!

How many concurrent sessions do you think you will have? Multiply that by 2 for overhead, then take your total storage and divide it by that number.

Personally I prefer to use scratch instead of pre-allocated, but that's just my preference. Both method work, I just prefer to let TSM manage it and not have to worry about it.

Back