need help deleting lost items from SSAM

wuestenfuchs

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello,
I maintain a TSM server that runs in SSAM mode, i.e. archive only and with retention protection.
We had a SAN storage problem (2 lost disks in a RAID5 ...) and it happened between a client archiving objects and the normal storage pool backup. So we lost a certain number of objects since there are no copies in a copy pool. The objects were in a disk volume that does no longer exist and is marked as destroyed in TSM, all objects are also marked damaged.
However, TSM does not let me delete the objects due to the retention protection mode it runs in. So I am stuck with a non existing destroyed volume that contained a number of now damaged objects and cannot get rid of it.
IBM support refuses to disclose hints on how these objects can be cleaned up.
Did anyone here had such a situation in the past and could share information on how to clean up such a mess?

Thanks!

PREDATAR Control23

If there was a know way to go around the retention protection, this would be a flaw in the product.

PREDATAR Control23

I am not looking for a way arount the retention protection to delete real existing objects.
Instead I am looking for a way to remove references to damaged objects that cannot be restored anyway.

PREDATAR Control23

Also, I don't know why you refer me to the manuals. :)
I am a TSM admin with 15+ years of experience with TSM ...
I know the "delete object" command but it does nothing for SSAM, not even for these no-longer-existing objects.

PREDATAR Control23

I have not encountered such problem.

However, my understanding is that you can turn off Retention Protection (comment out ENABLEARCHIVERETENTIONPROTECTION YES in the dsmserv.opt file and restart the TSM server) and start deleting the objects thereafter. Have you tried to do so?

PREDATAR Control23

As far as I know, once ENABLEARCHIVERETENTIONPROTECTION has been set to YES, you cannot revert back to NO.

PREDATAR Control23

As far as I know, once ENABLEARCHIVERETENTIONPROTECTION has been set to YES, you cannot revert back to NO.

If this is the case, I guess you have no choice except to 'wait-it-out' until the object retention expires.

Or, have someone - if IBM will not help because it exposes how to go around the issue - that knows DB2 well to seek the table that holds the object/s metadata and delete the entry/ies.