TSM FastBack 6.1.3.0 available - now supports 64-bit Windows Server

mccleld

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Team,

IBM sneaked out TSM FastBack version 6.1.3.0 last week which, for the first time, bring support for the 64-bit Windows FastBack Server component - in addition the release also fixes half a dozen or so APARs. The IBM TSM FastBack Information Centre has already been updated to reflect 6.1.3.0.

Downloads are available from Fix Central.

Cheers,

Just a heads up. I just deployed 6.1.3(32bit) and it was a big let down. The install upgraded successfully no problems there. The problem was after I had it loaded, some of the functions would not work. I wasn't able to create any client groups. So, I did a re-install. This time I was able to create the client groups. After I spent some time creating all the client groups & all of the schedules that I wanted, I attempted to create my policy....and same problem.

The problem symptoms was, I clicked add new policy, filled in the information, clicked apply and nothing happened. Attempted to add with wizard created nothing. It just cleared the screen and went back to the start of the configuration section that I was working with. Nothing was in the error log. Its like I didn't click apply, it just decided to ignore me.

I'm curious to see if I experience the same problem with an x64 install, which I plan on testing soon.

Needless to say, I rolled back to 6.1.2 and everything was back to working perfectly. With much effort, sweat and I think one of the guys helping me went to the bathroom to cry, we finally got a test backup running. We had to uninstall the 6.1.3 clients from 8 servers and reboot (good thing they were test).

My environment was:
ESXi 4.1
Virtual Machine Version 7
2 VCPU's
4 GB memory
1 Nic (VMNET3)
1 LSI Logic system drive
5 Para Virtualized Repository drives
Cleanly installed Windows 2008 X86 server with all of the latest windows updates.
TrendMicro - Office Scan 8 (with all the proper exclusions)
Fastback 6.1.1 (Which was upgraded directly to 6.1.3)

If anyone has seen this and found a resolution please let me know. I have 3 locations with 6.1.2 and planning on rolling more out soon. I would prefer to stay current.

Thanks and since this is my first post...I love all you guys here this forum rocks!!

Very quickly - I performed an install of TSM FastBack 6.1.3.0 on Windows 2008 R2 x64 last week and it's gone smoothly enough. Some test clients connected successfully and I've witnessed no such problems creating client groups, schedules or policies etc.

Very quickly - I performed an install of TSM FastBack 6.1.3.0 on Windows 2008 R2 x64 last week and it's gone smoothly enough. Some test clients connected successfully and I've witnessed no such problems creating client groups, schedules or policies etc.

Thanks for letting us know! Great to hear, I suspected that it was my upgrade install that was the issue. I take it you did a clean 6.1.3 install?

Yes, a clean install - 6.1.3.0 is the first version that supported 64-bit OS I was installing it on.

I did get a FastBack Server panic last night -

FBSS7500E FastBack Server will restart because of internal reasons [19].

After which it came back up again successfully and backups have subsequently taken place without problem. Looking at the Server logfile, I see this:

[Mar 09 01:32:20:777]( ac4)->I4.GENERAL : MGR_S_CheckActionItemTimeOutRecevingStopCowReplyMessage: Semaphore timed out at 200 milliseconds. We'll try again later
[Mar 09 01:32:31:120]( ac4)->I4.GENERAL : MGR_S_CheckActionItemTimeOutRecevingStopCowReplyMessage: Semaphore timed out at 200 milliseconds. We'll try again later
[Mar 09 01:32:35:847]( 7d0)-->W8.FSI : DM_UTIL_CheckJOMBIJobs: Couldn't lock MGR_hJobQueuesProtectionSemaphore semaphore after [30] seconds. Will try again next time
[Mar 09 01:32:41:463]( ac4)->I4.GENERAL : MGR_S_CheckActionItemTimeOutRecevingStopCowReplyMessage: Semaphore timed out at 200 milliseconds. We'll try again later
[Mar 09 01:32:50:589]( 758)->I4.GENERAL : CLOG_S_SnmpTest: script process created status[33]
[Mar 09 01:32:50:605]( ac4)->I4.GENERAL : CLOG: FBSS7500E FastBack Server will restart because of internal reasons [19].
[Mar 09 01:32:50:605]( ac4)--->E18.INI : INI_S_PeriodicCheck: Sorry, module [MGR ] didn't answer after 30 minutes, we will initiate a reset
[Mar 09 01:32:50:605]( ac4)->I4.GENERAL : INI_S_PeriodicCheck: We need to reset the box, sorry

In fact, the 'Semaphore timed out...' messages began at 01:00 when there was a scheduled backup due to take place. Haven't seen this before, or since today with other scheduled operations. I'll keep an eye out for any other oddities.

Hi,

Have installed Fastback 6.1.3 on Windows 2008 R2. It seems to work ok.

On a Win 2008 R2 Exchange server i have problems using the Fastback Mount. Fastback Mount service is running as service, but there are no icon in tray (Yes i know the bug about rdp so i am using rdp /admin and even testet directly on the server console.) Starting Mount manually, but then i have to fill inn the blanks to connect to the repository and then do restores as normal.
Tested this on another R2 server too and it behaves the same...
Why are mount running as a service?

-Tur

IBM have opened an APAR about the 'FBSS7500E FastBack Server will restart because of internal reasons' error I posted above - there's no resolution as yet.

IC75257: FASTBACK SERVER MAY RESTART ITSELF WITH FBSS7500E
https://www-304.ibm.com/support/entdocview.wss?uid=swg1IC75257&myns=swgtiv&mynp=OCSS9NU9&mync=E

For what it's worth, since the initial occurrence of this back on 9th March I've not experienced it again on this server (nor have I witnessed it on any other FastBack Servers).

HTH,

I havn't find software of FastBack v6.1.3 on IBM Partnerworld site.There are only FastBack v6.1.0 and v6.1.2 is available.On the other side i have installation guide for v6.1.3 but not found v6.1.2 installation guide.

Any one can help me?

I originally downloaded it from the IBM Passport Advantage site - however, I've just checked and I don't seem to be able to find it on there any more...

I had to download mine from fix central. Which requires a passport advantage sign in to download.

Ah yes, I could be getting confused in that case, perhaps it was Fix Central. Did you find it yet @suleman?

/David Mc
London, UK

No David,still i'm in search of that version.

Hi @suleman, it must be an entitlement issue - I've just logged in to IBM Fix Central to check and it's there for me:

24-05-2011%2010-36-07.png

Perhaps you need to speak to your IBM rep.

/David Mc
London, UK

Hello David,

Thank you very much for your kind help.Definitely i will pursue this issue and will talk to my IBM Rep.

Back