Move data

dannyblair

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a server with a large number of files backup on a win 2000 box, we have created a new server 2008 machine on a cluster with a different name. Is there a way to point the backup data to the new server so all the additional copies will be there and the massive amount of data will not have to be rebacked up?

Thanks.

One option:

You can keep the data from old server indefinitely, decommission the old server and when you need files from the old server do a restore from the new server virtually logging into the old server.

Otherwise, moving the data to the new server requires a new FULL backup.

As moon-buddy said you need to backup again as the filesystem NTFS have chnaged since windows 2000 below is som info from wikipedia.
NTFS has five released versions:
v1.0 with NT 3.1,[citation needed] released mid-1993
v1.1 with NT 3.5,[citation needed] released fall 1994
v1.2 with NT 3.51 (mid-1995) and NT 4 (mid-1996) (occasionally referred to as "NTFS 4.0", because OS version is 4.0)
v3.0 from Windows 2000 ("NTFS V5.0")
v3.1 from Windows XP (autumn 2001; "NTFS V5.1"[citation needed]), Windows Server 2003 (spring 2003; occasionally "NTFS V5.2"[citation needed]), Windows Vista (mid-2005) (occasionally "NTFS V6.0"[citation needed]), Windows Server 2008, Windows 7.

I am not sure whether TSM backs up data using/based-on filesystem version ( ofcourse filesystem type but not sure with version).

If the new server have the same node-name in dsm.opt or hostname and the file paths are same as it is old server then i think it wont back it up again bcoz TSM identifies a file with nodename and path.

correct me if i am wrong.

Even if the node name/host name/paths/etc are the same you will still see a full backup the first time because the new filesystem will not match the old filespace in TSM (low level filesystem ID will be different).

Besides, I would expect all the files will have changed creation/modification times anyway due to the copy from old to new.

TSM backs up if any of the following changes:

• File size
  • Date or time of last modification
  • Extended Attributes
  • Access Control List
  • Sparse, reparse point or encrypted file attributes.
  • NTFS file security descriptors.
I see the same behaviour on a mixed Netware/SLES (OES) cluster where a volume is migrated from the Netware to the SLES nodes and a full backup is done. Windows 2000 to 2008 will be no different.

I am not sure whether TSM backs up data using/based-on filesystem version ( ofcourse filesystem type but not sure with version).

If the new server have the same node-name in dsm.opt or hostname and the file paths are same as it is old server then i think it wont back it up again bcoz TSM identifies a file with nodename and path.

correct me if i am wrong.

Believe me - TSM will do a full backup even when node names, paths, etc are the same. This is done for reliability and security purposes.

I have gone through thousands of migrations on all platform flavors and the first thing TSM does is do a full backup on first run.

Back