Quirky Exclusion

thejgolden

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
I have a global server exclusion for *:\...\*.tmp but a client is attempting to backup files with tmp extensions. Is the syntax incorrect or am I missing something that's including tmp files after the exclusion call?

Many thanks,

Joel Golden

Attachments

• inclexcl.txt
    7.2 KB · Views: 20
It looks like wrong syntax to me.
I usually write "exclude.dir", and not "Exclude Directory" - I think that it will look for file called "Directory" or something like that.
Also, I do not know what should "Exclude All" do.
You may try to write:
exclude "*:\...\*.tmp"
or
exclude.backup "*:\...\*.tmp"
or similar

It looks like wrong syntax to me.
I usually write "exclude.dir", and not "Exclude Directory" - I think that it will look for file called "Directory" or something like that.
Also, I do not know what should "Exclude All" do.
You may try to write:
exclude "*:\...\*.tmp"
or
exclude.backup "*:\...\*.tmp"
or similar

Sigh.... that's because its the output of a the q inclexcl command...

Joel your output looks ok. Can you post the actual errors you were getting on the failed file?

I have often seen that doing a manual backup of the included directories help with this problem. Before that, you should update your scheduler service though.

Sigh.... that's because its the output of a the q inclexcl command...

Joel your output looks ok. Can you post the actual errors you were getting on the failed file?

Attached it a snippet from the dsm error log. The *:\...\*.tmp is a server defined client option with Force set to yes.

Attachments

• dsmerror.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 8
I don't think its actually trying to backup those files, its just complaining that they disappeared during the backup. Try excluding that whole directory if you don't need it with an exclude.dir, as that's the only way to stop it from traversing that part of the directory tree.

That's what I was thinking as I've seen that lots of times with tmp files, BUT I thought that if they disappeared during the backup, TSM wouldn't care or notice because it was already not going to back them up. So I threw that thought aside.

So TSM actually does see them, and throws an error, even though INCLEXCL says don't back them up?

Yeah, TSM scans the directory and builds the "candidate list", then it steps through that list and compares to incl/excl options. So if it sees them during scan, but they're gone when it does that compare, you get that message. Like BBB said, only way to prevent is to exclude.dir or exclude.fs - regular exclude still looks at file first.

Back