Tivoli Storage Manager for Reporting and Monitoring 6.1

THE_WIPET

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi All

I was wondering if any one is trying the new Tivoli Storage Manager for Reporting and Monitoring 6.1... Since in the documentation it say that it can work with an TSM 5.5 Env.

Code:
Depending on the type of reporting installation you are performing, you will install different components. The following situations describe three installation scenarios and list the components you install for each scenario:
[LIST]
[*][B]You have Tivoli Storage Manager, version 5.5 and you want to install the Tivoli Storage Manager reporting and monitoring feature only.[/B]
[LIST]
[*]You install the Tivoli Storage Manager monitoring agent on your Tivoli Storage Manager server.
[*]You install the following components on a different system which will be your Tivoli Storage Manager reporting and monitoring server:
[LIST]
[*]IBM Tivoli Monitoring
[*]Tivoli Storage Manager monitoring agent
[*]Tivoli Storage Manager reporting and monitoring
[*]Tivoli Storage Manager reporting and monitoring languages
[*]Tivoli Storage Manager Administration Center
[/LIST]
[/LIST]
[/LIST]

I'm trying to install it on a Win2k8 X64 server. From what I read in the documentation it should be supported or at least working.

And it's failling on the DB2 installation.. PMR as been open.

i'll give you news!!!

Supported Tivoli Storage Manager for Reporting and Monitoring Platforms

The version of ITM (6.2 fix pack 1) we are using does not fully support Windows 2008. Not all of the ITM Agents and components are supported with Windows 2008. Basically with Windows 2008 you can install the TSM Agent and Admin Center.

What concerns me is that DB2 failed to installed. The install should have worked.

Could you please send me the following data to help me determine why DB2 failed to install

<install_dir>/_uninst (zip up that directory)

Environment
The following list is the supported platforms for IBM Tivoli Monitoring and the Tivoli Storage Manager Reporting and Monitoring feature.

Supported Platform
IBM Tivoli
Monitoring Tivoli Storage Manager
Reporting and Monitoring Agent
Windows 2000 X X
Windows 2003 X X
Windows 2003 64bit X X
Windows 2008 X
Windows 2008 64bit X
AIX 64bit X X
RHEL 5 32bit Intel X X
RHEL 5 32bit Intel Xeon X X
RHEL 5 32bit AMD X
SLES 10 32bit Intel X
SLES 10 32bit Intel Xeon X
SLES 10 32bit AMD X
RHEL 5 64bit Intel X
RHEL 5 64bit Intel Xeon X
RHEL 5 64bit AMD X
SLES 10 64bit Intel X
SLES 10 64bit Intel Xeon X
SLES 10 64bit AMD X

Got the answer from IBM... The documenation is misleading.. WIndows 2008 is not supported for the complet package of Tivoli Storage Manager for Reporting and Monitoring Platforms ..

thanks LW for the info. Will install win2k3 x64

Hi

Where do I find the documentation for the 6.1 Reporting & Monitoring (specifically on AIX).. I can't find it anywhere in the 6.1 Information Centre

Thanks

OK.. manage to install it on a Windows 2k3 X64. I just finish configure it!. (with the TSM 5.5 env)

First impression... Big... ugly and complicated!!! There will be alot to reading if you find the information... but the information gater at this moment is interesting and it will take a while to fine tune this beast.

I wondering how will the TSM community will accept this new "feature" in the TSM world. Doest it finaly add the reporting/monitoring feature that TSM lack since it's creation or it will recieved the same kind of mixte feeling when IBM replace the web interface with the ISC?

My 2 cents.

I would add that since 3 or 4 years... alot of companies are working on backup reporting software for TSM. just to name a few.. Servergraph Enterprise or Data Protection Expert. aptare,TSM Manager etc. I think they are years in front of IBM... One advantage IBM got.. it come with TSM.

Last edited:
First impression: A huge pile of worthless crap. Does not even install.

I have tried installing and re-installing all day, and it does not even say why it won't install, just dumps a lot of java junk into a log file...

From the installation menu:
1- IBM Tivoli Monitoring
2- Tivoli Storage Manager Reporting and Monitoring Agent
3- TSM Reporting and Monitoring Agent Languages
4- Tivoli Storage Manager Administration Center

I managed to install 2,3 and 4 from the menu. ISC seemed to work. After a few tries at installing 1, and a reboot, ISC does not work anymore...

on what platform you are trying to install it?

after a few day playing with it... i've drop it! not enough info and not enough time to fine tune it!

I am sorry you are having such a hard time with the install.
Possible the issue with the ISC has to do with restarting it once you have rebooted
cd <install_dir>\ac\ISCW61/bin
startserver tsmServer

Now for the IBM Tivoli Monitoring Server install failure, which part is failing
Did it fail installing DB2 or IBM Tivoli Monitoring

If it failed to install DB2 have you checked the
<install_dir>_uninst/plan/tmp directory or <install_dir>/_uninst/plan/install/logs
for the db2setup.log.

If it failed to install IBM Tivoli Monitoring check this:

For AIX/Linux
4Directory: install_dir>/_uninst/plan/install/MachinePlan_localhost/00002_ITM_6.2
§itm62_error.txt, itm62_log.txt, itm62_xxx_log.txt, itm62_xxx_error.txt
Where xxx – Are the different components (TDP, TPS, and TPW)

§ITM_6.2.xml stores a simplified install/uninstall status

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
If its Windows check this file: §ITM_6.2.xml stores a simplified install/uninstall status
§<install_dir>/itm/InstallITM
All of the *.log and *.txt files contain various install and configuration logs.

Thanks, now it worked!!!

I install on Redhat Linux. It was DB2 that didn't install.

Now I've found the log file:
/opt/tivoli/tsm/reporting/_uninst/plan/tmp/DB2_ESE_InstallProduct_20090511_153229CEST.log:

It seems it didn't like my password...

A Response file error occurred. The value "hu4kZ34Nrk2" is not valid for the keyword "DB2ITM.PASSWORD".

As far as I can see, that is within the required 8-14 characters.. It complained about my first, shorter, password, but this one seemed alright. But apparently not so.

I recently learned with DB2 9.1 that the password needs to be 8 chars or less. Which is a limiation with that version of DB2 9.1

I recently learned with DB2 9.1 that the password needs to be 8 chars or less. Which is a limiation with that version of DB2 9.1

That's a bug in the installer then, because it won't accept passwords shorter than 8 chars. When I entered my first, 6 chars, password, it told me that 8-14 chars was required.

The bottom line is: use _exactly_ 8 chars password to satisfy both the installer and DB2. :eek:

Next problem:

I'm following the instructions for installing and configuring at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tsminfo/v6/index.jsp and I get stuck on step 2, Configure the Tivoli Enterprise Portal server.

I start CandleManage to configure "Tivoli Enterprise Portal server", but there is no such thing in the list.. I can't find any information about how to install the portal server.

Is it not included in the Reporting and Monitoring package? I have installed all items in the package.

Hi,
just posting this after some days trying to install R&M on the same AIX 6.1 system where I previously installed a TSM 6.1 Server.
Well, I gave up!
Installation of R&M "feels" that there is a DB2 already installed and skip this step so, with a little help from a friend, I did some tricks (used db2inst1 user for the TSM server instance owner) and finally I had DB2 instance "server1" with 2 databases "TSMDB1" and "TEPS", but I don't think this is a good choice. :)
Moreover it was almost impossible to follow the installation guide as paths were completely different.

I hope IBM will understand that some customers could have a "tough" machine to handle both TSM server and R&M and don't want to buy another system just to show some graphs.

Hi,
just posting this after some days trying to install R&M on the same AIX 6.1 system where I previously installed a TSM 6.1 Server.
Well, I gave up!
Installation of R&M "feels" that there is a DB2 already installed and skip this step so, with a little help from a friend, I did some tricks (used db2inst1 user for the TSM server instance owner) and finally I had DB2 instance "server1" with 2 databases "TSMDB1" and "TEPS", but I don't think this is a good choice. :)
Moreover it was almost impossible to follow the installation guide as paths were completely different.

I hope IBM will understand that some customers could have a "tough" machine to handle both TSM server and R&M and don't want to buy another system just to show some graphs.

I heard that it is not possible (and not recommended) to install both on the same server. They use different versions of DB2 as well.

I heard that it is not possible (and not recommended) to install both on the same server. They use different versions of DB2 as well.
Thank you Staham, will open a PMR and ask it.

Next problem:

I'm following the instructions for installing and configuring at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tsminfo/v6/index.jsp and I get stuck on step 2, Configure the Tivoli Enterprise Portal server.

I start CandleManage to configure "Tivoli Enterprise Portal server", but there is no such thing in the list.. I can't find any information about how to install the portal server.

Is it not included in the Reporting and Monitoring package? I have installed all items in the package.

Exact same problem here. I'm on SLES 10 x86_64. CandleManage has a "Tivoli Enterprise Monitoring Server" and some Monitoring Agent entries but no Portal server. Anyone figure this out yet?

I heard that they use different DB2 versions also. Just another think that drives you nuts as products become more bloated. I remember the good old days of a slick streamline web interface and all reports were done by resourceful admins who were dangerous with scripting. LOL!

I ran into a similar situation. I had attempted to install it on 64-bit Linux. And the Tivoli Enterprise Portal Server did not show up in CandleManage for me as well.

I opened a PMR, and it turns out that that portion would not install on 64-bit Linux. I changed my machine over to 32-bit and most things started to work.

IBM actually opened a DOC APAR over my incident due to the bad documentation and the lack of mention that this software would not run on 64-bit Linux.

Why the hell has IBM removed Operational reporting in TSM 6!?? It couldnt be better and simpler than Operational reporting.

No I am stuck with ISC and Enterprise Portal. It seems like there is no way to create custom reports in ISC. I get tired by just looking at Enterprise portal..

Will operational reporting be realeased for TSM 6? What are my options without having to pay for it..?

\Masonit

Back