TSM 6.1 deduplicaation

javajockey

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has used the deduplication function in TSM 6.1
If so, Can anybody report what type of compression you are receiving?

I am quite interested on what others have to say about this too...Last i heard was, it was not that good, and may not even be worth it?!

I was eager to try until I read it was only for devclass=File and not even tape... so.. it's kind of pointless

Well I have around 40TB of active data pool on devclass FILE. I should really be able to take advantage of the feature.

I hope so.. On our side we have a mix of VTL'S and tapes.. so when we discover it was only for devclass=file for the moment... it's was a bummer for us... We think dedup will help us.. but we have to look for other vendor like data domain/Protectier or Avamar.. Since we have more than 800TB of online/offline pool

^ I've sat in on a few Avamar presentations and haven't been impressed. It seems most are deploying it on VMs and light weight servers. Even EMC hasn't started using it for SQL and Exchange.

As for dedupe we are looking forward to it. We have huge chunks of SATA that should benefit from it. Our main hope is that it will shave some occupancy off of the Windows 2008 servers. That OS has bloated big time.

Outside of the OS I'm not sure how much of our data is really duplicated. Our big hitters are database, email, and file servers. Pretty much have to cross of email as that stuff ends up on the Centera and captured by TDP. I doubt we'll see much of a reduction in already compressed database files. And our file servers should really be moved to HSM.

For what it is worth.
I have a very small (test) TSM server doing backups for just one small system and I am getting a compression of 7%.
Regards. Wim.

Deduping on TAPE??

I think there aren't too many folks who WILL dedupe your tape data. Think of the huge number of tape mounts to do it, and also to retrieve files. Data Domain will sell you a VTL (diskpool) which again is not tape. Remember we are talking about sequential media, here.

The dedupe works on your diskpools fine. I haven't got any Xfactor numbers yet, but anything free that works is better than nothing. If you are a huge tape vault, with small diskpools, then you won't see any benefit.

Remember that when it flushes the deduped data to tape, (migration, copy, etc) it will "un-dedupe" it (for lack of a better term) so the instances of the file are in all appropriate file spaces.

For what it is worth.
I have a very small (test) TSM server doing backups for just one small system and I am getting a compression of 7%.
Regards. Wim.
Sooooooo .. you actually have 6.1 up and running. :eek:

One would expect higher compression ratios with multiple servers being backed up of course. Duplication within a single machine would be lower than duplication between multiple machines. But I'm guessing you're not testing dedup just yet.

We are using a VTL (EMC 4106) that emulate 30 tapes drive with 250 LTO3 tapes.. Since it's all disk.. it would be interesting to be able to use in house Dedup from TSM. And since management decided to go all VTL (off-site pool included) this option would be amazing..

I'm not sure if you will be able to use the dedup feature since you are emulating a tape library. If you can set you VTL to show up as disk, it might work. As far as I know, It's just sequential FILE only.

Similar results as below. 6.1 setup on AIX, created file devc with just word documents and pdfs going to it. 4GB in pool total, about 10% dedup.

Back