Various Questions concerning TSM and Tape Library

Manaburner

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm pretty new in using TSM with a tape library and while using it there came up a few questions for which I hope you can help me.

1. How can I tell, which backup is on which tape(s)?

2. It is planned that tape media goes offsite e.g. into a bank vault. Can I use the checkout libvol command for that purpose or is there another command for that? Backupsets are not possible in our situation because there is no storage pool with the devclass file.

3. Currently we have 20 LTO4 tapes in the library and we want to "reserve" 4 tapes for the TSM DB backup , which are returned to scratch after 2 days via del volh admin schedule and the others for the storage pool backup. Is there a way to reserve tapes? Should we use separate storage pools?

4. Is it possible to assign certain tapes to certain storage pools, e.g. tape01 - tape04 for pool one and so on?

Many thanks in advance

Kind Regards Mana

Hello,

1. How can I tell, which backup is on which tape(s)?

You don't have to know. All you need to know is which tape pool your data belongs to if you have defined multiple tape pools for different node functionality: File/Print, DB, Exchange, etc.

2. It is planned that tape media goes offsite e.g. into a bank vault. Can I use the checkout libvol command for that purpose or is there another command for that? Backupsets are not possible in our situation because there is no storage pool with the devclass file.

Yes; tapes that go offsite are called offsite tapes and are copies of tapes that reside in the tape library called online tape pool. These tapes goes to offsite for DR purposes. If you are not using DRM, then "checkout libvol" is the command to use to move offsite tapes.

If you need to use backupsets, you can use tapes for storing the backup data. Just define a relevant devclass for it.

3. Currently we have 20 LTO4 tapes in the library and we want to "reserve" 4 tapes for the TSM DB backup , which are returned to scratch after 2 days via del volh admin schedule and the others for the storage pool backup. Is there a way to reserve tapes? Should we use separate storage pools?

You can use predefined tapes for DB backup. Do a "help backup db" there is an option to enter a volume name: VOLUMENAMES=<volume_name>

4. Is it possible to assign certain tapes to certain storage pools, e.g. tape01 - tape04 for pool one and so on?

Yes but not necessary. If you must do so, I suggest defining a new library instance (not to be confused with a NEW library setup) so you can associate the tapes to this library.

Last edited:
Hello moon-buddy,

You don't have to know. All you need to know is which tape pool your data belongs to if you have defined multiple tape pools for different node functionality: File/Print, DB, Exchange, etc.
But I have to know, when I want to take tapes offsite with the checkout libvol command, right?

You can use predefined tapes for DB backup. Do a "help backup db" there is an option to enter a volume name: VOLUMENAMES=<volume_name>
Currently I'm using this scheduled backup command: "backup db devc=lto4class type=full vol=000001L4,000002L4,000003L4 scratch=no" So I want to use those 3 tapes only for DB backup. But when they become scratch after 2 days, I can't prevent TSM from taking one of those for e.g. the storage pool backup. That's what I want.

Yes but not necessary. If you must do so, I suggest defining a new library instance (not to be confused with a NEW library setup) so you can associate the tapes to this library.
You mean creating a new library and drive definition in TSM that's pointing to the same physical library and just calling it different ?

Hello moon-buddy,

But I have to know, when I want to take tapes offsite with the checkout libvol command, right?

All you need to know are the tapes with status=mountable and these are the tapes that goes offsite.

Currently I'm using this scheduled backup command: "backup db devc=lto4class type=full vol=000001L4,000002L4,000003L4 scratch=no" So I want to use those 3 tapes only for DB backup. But when they become scratch after 2 days, I can't prevent TSM from taking one of those for e.g. the storage pool backup. That's what I want.

Therefore, you need to checkin the oldest DB backup tape before the third backup goes, i.e., 000001L4. It would not be a bad idea to have a fourth tape and use this for the DB backup. Come to think of it, you definitely need a fourth one since your rotation is 3 days.

You mean creating a new library and drive definition in TSM that's pointing to the same physical library and just calling it different ?

Yes. This is one way which I am using right now.

Last edited:
All you need to know are the tapes with status=mountable and these are the tapes that goes offsite.

Please be patient with me, but:

Let's say we ran a backup on Friday and I want to take offsite those tapes, that were part of the Friday backup, to the bank vault. I then enter q libvol f=d on the command line and then there are tapes that have the status=mountable, that you were writing about? Or how do I see that status?

Therefore, you need to checkin the oldest DB backup tape before the third backup goes, i.e., 000001L4. It would not be a bad idea to have a fourth tape and use this for the DB backup. Come to think of it, you definitely need a fourth one since your rotation is 3 days.
OK, then I'll add another tape to my rotation.

Yes. This is one way which I am using right now.
And TSM doesn't complain about having one physical device added to two library paths?

In your setup, you do a checkin libvol secondlibraryname and then you have those tapes exclusively added to the second library?

Thank you very much

Please be patient with me, but:

Let's say we ran a backup on Friday and I want to take offsite those tapes, that were part of the Friday backup, to the bank vault. I then enter q libvol f=d on the command line and then there are tapes that have the status=mountable, that you were writing about? Or how do I see that status?

Sorry, what I meant was state=mountable. You can use "q drm" to find out which are mountable even if you are not using DRM.

And TSM doesn't complain about having one physical device added to two library paths?

In your setup, you do a checkin libvol secondlibraryname and then you have those tapes exclusively added to the second library?

No, it does not. In my setup, the same physical library is defined twice. One is for the backup/archive environment while the other is just for DB backup. I use a 3494 library and the DB backup uses short 3494 tapes defined to the second library.

Moon-Buddy: I think you're losing him because he doesn't appear to be doing any copypool tapes. If I'm reading the questions correctly, he wants to send his primary tapes offsite.

Manaburner: Chapter 10 in the TSM Admin Guide has information on the backup stgpool process. Read up on that, you'll basically copy the tapes - in your example that were written to on Friday - and send all of the copypool tapes offsite to vault.

As for reserving the same tapes for db backups, you don't really need to do that. Let the db backups write to whatever tape they grab. The volhist records will show the volumes used by last db backups. Even with a delete volhist t=dbb command it won't delete the most recent db backup entry.

Reactions: BBB
Moon-Buddy: I think you're losing him because he doesn't appear to be doing any copypool tapes. If I'm reading the questions correctly, he wants to send his primary tapes offsite.

I'm sorry if I don't see it that way. His initial and subsequent post mentions about offiste copies.

If otherwise, then this is not how TSM should be setup.

This is what got me thinking he's talking primary tapes:

"Let's say we ran a backup on Friday and I want to take offsite those tapes, that were part of the Friday backup, to the bank vault."

That sounds to me like he wants to take the primary tapes written to during that Friday backup.

Before that I was with you in thinking he had copypool tapes. Now I'm not so sure about that.

Hi everyone,

No, it does not. In my setup, the same physical library is defined twice.
OK, I'll configure that, sounds good.

First I beg your pardon because I don't have your TSM knowledge and am not used to speak in TSM terms, yet.

To clean up the confusion this is what I want: I have a DR550 archive system that's running SSAM and a TS3200 attached to it with one tape drive. I need to backup the TSM DB to tape (which I found a solution for with your help) and I have to backup the archived object, that are stored in the storage pools to tape.

And from time to time, let's say at every end of the month, I want to take a backup offsite to the bank. As I have no tape copy pools then you are right to say, that I want or have to take the primary tapes offsite.

Although my tape storagepool is defined as a copy pool. This is my definition for the tape pool: def stgp LTO4Pool LTO4Class pooltype=copy crcd=yes maxscr=20

Part of the reason for the confusion could be, that I was using Symantec Backup Exec before and there we did weekly and monthly backups. It seems like TSM doesn't know that kind of concept.

Regards Mana

Hi everyone,

OK, I'll configure that, sounds good.

First I beg your pardon because I don't have your TSM knowledge and am not used to speak in TSM terms, yet.

To clean up the confusion this is what I want: I have a DR550 archive system that's running SSAM and a TS3200 attached to it with one tape drive. I need to backup the TSM DB to tape (which I found a solution for with your help) and I have to backup the archived object, that are stored in the storage pools to tape.

And from time to time, let's say at every end of the month, I want to take a backup offsite to the bank. As I have no tape copy pools then you are right to say, that I want or have to take the primary tapes offsite.

Although my tape storagepool is defined as a copy pool. This is my definition for the tape pool: def stgp LTO4Pool LTO4Class pooltype=copy crcd=yes maxscr=20

Part of the reason for the confusion could be, that I was using Symantec Backup Exec before and there we did weekly and monthly backups. It seems like TSM doesn't know that kind of concept.

Regards Mana

OK. It looks like you just want to plainly backup the data you have on the SSAM device.

All you have to do is define a backup schedule for the data that you needs to be moved offsite.

Here is how it goes:

1. Define a new Archive (was what you have done: def stgp LTO4Pool LTO4Class pooltype=copy crcd=yes maxscr=20) storage pool with a sequential devclass, i.e., tape
2. Set an Admin schedule to backup the SSAM: backup stgpool <SSAM_Stgpool_name> LTO4Pool. Run this at the times you ned to.
3. When done, eject the tapes and ship offsite.

The retention policies follow what you have defined for the SSAM environment.

Hi moon-buddy,

1. Define a new Archive (was what you have done: def stgp LTO4Pool LTO4Class pooltype=copy crcd=yes maxscr=20) storage pool with a sequential devclass, i.e., tape
I'm sorry, but I don't understand why I should define another "archive storage pool". Can't I use the one I already have?

Here's my complete configuration:

def libr ts3200 libt=SCSI autolabel=no

def path tsm ts3200 srct=server autodetect=yes desttype=libr device=/dev/smc0

def drive ts3200 tapedrive1

def path tsm tapedrive1 srct=server autodetect=yes desttype=drive libr=ts3200 device=/dev/rmt0

def devc LTO4Class libr=ts3200 devt=lto format=drive mountlimit=drives

def stgp LTO4Pool LTO4Class pooltype=copy crcd=yes maxscr=20

Sorry if I seem a little obtuse.

Hi moon-buddy,

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why I should define another "archive storage pool". Can't I use the one I already have?

Here's my complete configuration:

def libr ts3200 libt=SCSI autolabel=no

def path tsm ts3200 srct=server autodetect=yes desttype=libr device=/dev/smc0

def drive ts3200 tapedrive1

def path tsm tapedrive1 srct=server autodetect=yes desttype=drive libr=ts3200 device=/dev/rmt0

def devc LTO4Class libr=ts3200 devt=lto format=drive mountlimit=drives

def stgp LTO4Pool LTO4Class pooltype=copy crcd=yes maxscr=20

Sorry if I seem a little obtuse.

Yes. This is what I meant. You definitely can use the one you have defined.

Hi moon-buddy,

as far as I understand it, I should run the backup stg scheduled and have a look at the actlog, which tape TSM used and check that out, if I want to. Correct?

Regards Mana

Hi moon-buddy,

thank you for your help. I'll give it a try and see how it works.

Regards Mana

Hi, I guess that maybe you didn't understand that when you run a backup stg command, it will do an incremental backup. Which means that after you do it the first time, the new tapes will only contain data since the last backup stg command.

Then, you just have to run the backup stg command, very likely daily, and once a month, checkout all new volumes contained in you copy pool. (in fact the primary pool for a DR550 is on disk and all pools on tape are copy pools)

To see which tapes to externalize, you just have to issue two commands :

Q vol stgpool=lto4pool
q volhist t=dbb

and check out all these tapes.

By the way, do you use WORM tapes for externalisation or standard tapes ?

Hi egtegt

Hi, I guess that maybe you didn't understand that when you run a backup stg command, it will do an incremental backup. Which means that after you do it the first time, the new tapes will only contain data since the last backup stg command.
Is there a command to always make a full backup?

Or should I probably define another pool that is only for tapes to take offsite?

Then, you just have to run the backup stg command, very likely daily, and once a month, checkout all new volumes contained in you copy pool. (in fact the primary pool for a DR550 is on disk and all pools on tape are copy pools)
Hmm that would mean that I have to take out all tapes in the worst case right?

By the way, do you use WORM tapes for externalisation or standard tapes ?
We use normal tapes because WORM functionality is not necessary in that case

Hi egtegt

Is there a command to always make a full backup?

Or should I probably define another pool that is only for tapes to take offsite?

Why would you want to make a full backup each time ? Once the data is offsite, it can remain there.

But yes, normally, you will have to create a pool for offsite tapes. It has to be a copy pool and all tapes in this pool should be offsite except the ones created since the last externalisation.

Hmm that would mean that I have to take out all tapes in the worst case right?

I don't think so. If you create such a copy pool, the very first time, the backup stg will fill up as much tapes as needed, then only new data will be added to it.

We use normal tapes because WORM functionality is not necessary in that case

In that case, you will have to manage reclamation. Depending on the rate at which you add data, and the rate at which data expires on TSM, you will have nearly empty tapes offsite. In that case, TSM has the ability to copy the remaining data on these tapes on new ones and after these new tapes are offsite, you can retrieve the old ones and put them back in the library for reuse.

Why would you want to make a full backup each time ? Once the data is offsite, it can remain there
The "problem" is that the customer is thinking in Backup Exec terms and is thinking that there must be a monthly or annual backup of his data that he can take offsite.

But yes, normally, you will have to create a pool for offsite tapes. It has to be a copy pool and all tapes in this pool should be offsite except the ones created since the last externalisation.
Is it possible that TSM continues to write on one tape until it is full and then takes a new scratch tape?

That would make it easier for me to take a complete backup offsite.

In that case, you will have to manage reclamation. Depending on the rate at which you add data, and the rate at which data expires on TSM, you will have nearly empty tapes offsite. In that case, TSM has the ability to copy the remaining data on these tapes on new ones and after these new tapes are offsite, you can retrieve the old ones and put them back in the library for reuse.
If I understand that correctly, reclamation works in that way, that data, that has expired, is deleted from tape. But in the archive I don't have files that expire, i.e. files that are deleted.

What I planned to do was to execute a "del volhist type=stgnew tod=today-14" to make old tapes scratch again.

Regards Mana

Back