• Insufficient client memory

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • VSS / System State backup errors

Votes: 110 64.3%
  • File/file system errors

Votes: 40 23.4%
  • TSM Scheduler/CAD needs restart

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Other (If other post a msg and I'll update poll with most common one).

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Network Timeouts/Firewalls

Votes: 21 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad_small

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.tsmadmin.com
So I thought I'd start a new poll to see what others are experiencing. What I'd like to know is what errors/issues cause the majority of your backup failures?

Nice one Chad. I'd like to see "tape library/drive/media issues" in there too - certainly the box-ticker for one of my customers at the moment.

/David Mc
London, UK

so far MS VSS had the most problem in my envorinment

Usually is problems with the tapes, because some of us must backup directly to tape and that brings issues

VSS mostly, but I will say that sometimes a Q EVENT from the previous night shows a Windows client backup "in progress" yet it's not. I use CAD-managed scheduler. For some reason, occasionally the TSM Scheduler service remains "Started." If it's not corrected (the TSM Scheduler service must be stopped), each subsequent scheduled backup will fail (report as "in progress") until that service is manually stopped.

Lately I'm experiencing a lot of VSS systemstate failures due to OBJECT ENUMERATION where files VSS says should be part of the systemstate are not found.

For me its usually tape or drive hardware related.. but thankfully this is a rare occurance... not had a backup failure for over 6 months now :)

GregE,
that's my problem as well "Limbo" processes, had any success in getting it corrected

Nice one Chad. I'd like to see "tape library/drive/media issues" in there too - certainly the box-ticker for one of my customers at the moment.

/David Mc
London, UK

I'd like to see tape library as an option as well.

Hi, I aggree with adding "tape library/drive/media issues" event if VSS and schedule are the most common for our customers

#1 VSS - Quoting KBEE, "I hate it."
- Qouting our in house Windows support, "It's Windows, what do you expect?"

#2 "Other" - I almost put this in "Filesystem errors". I have a regular problem with errors related to vscan problems for files on CIFS shares. It is a variety of permission denied error generated by Windows when trying to backup certain files on CIFS shares. The permission of the client profile MUST be adequate because it backs up other files with the same permission levels in the same directories. Most of them are large files. For a time it seemed to be specific to .xls files, then .pdf crept in, then others. The problem initially cropped up after a change related to McAffe. Each player (IBM,Virus Scanner, Windows) pointed the finger at the others. Eventually the problem was fixed with a patch from McAffe.
Then we changed to Symantec virus software.
Back to square 1.
The most information I found was to try toggling vscan off on the filer and running a backup. That worked well. It is a poor workaround though. I run a backup, check for failed files then next day, toggle vscan off, run a backup for just those files, toggle vscan back on, then check the next day for new files.
The IBM support person I spoke to actually told me that he was being "admonished" for spending too much time on a call that was not an IBM issue because he took time to make the vscan toggle suggestion and waited the 60 seconds or so while I ran a backup of a few files to test it. I'm tempted to count that as a problem itself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back