Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] IBM LTO-5 Drive Question (8.0gbps FC, FW: B5BF)

2011-12-13 10:53:52
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] IBM LTO-5 Drive Question (8.0gbps FC, FW: B5BF)
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 15:53:45 +0000
As noted it does occur on rare occasion that an update has a fix for the issue
you're experiencing.   The point in my email was that most of time it does not
and is simply suggested to avoid actual work by the vendor in troubleshooting
your issue.

While you've seen "inadvertent" fixes of side issues I can say I've also seen
"inadvertent" side breaks.   Years ago during regular patching of systems one
vendor introduced a patch the broke how later patches got applied.   We ended
up having to back out all patches in that set and introduce them one by one to
try to figure out which patch broke it because the vendor didn't know.   Since
the bad patch was actually the one BEFORE the one that we saw an error on we
had to prove it was that patch by NOT applying the next one but instead
applying others in the set AFTER applying the bad one so we could show any new
patch applied after the bad one gave an error.   From that point on there, and
everywhere I've been since, the rule is we don't apply any update that is less
than 30 days old and hasn't already been applied at other of the vendors'
clients previously.

As I noted patching/updating is important but unless there is a specific fix
for your issue it almost always is unhelpful and in fact muddies the water
because once you do actually resolve your problem you're never really sure if
the final fix was the fix or if it was a combination of patches and other
changes.

One thing that NetBackup is good for in this regard is usually if they tell you
to apply a new patch/binary they've made it IS specifically related to the
problem you're experiencing.   They actually go the opposite way in
troubleshooting often and it sometimes takes a while for you to find out they
have such a patch/binary.