Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] EMC Data Domain OST Vs VTL with NetBackup

2011-04-20 16:39:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] EMC Data Domain OST Vs VTL with NetBackup
From: rhugga <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:39:10 -0700
You want to use OST without a doubt.. With optimized deduped replication you
end up pushing almost nothing across the wire.. With VTL its a full rehydration
on the source end before it gets replicated. I just spent several months
testing this on Data Domain and Quantum DXi. The only caveat is Data Domain has
no path to tape so to push it to tape from the data domain the data is going
back up thru the media server stack and out to tape - which IMHO is no big deal
- that is what your media servers are designed and sized to do.

But as far as replication goes, nothing comes close to using OST for this.. I
saw 100gb backups that resulted in only like 2gb having to be moved across the
wire. The only downside is you must use storage lifecycle policies and I'm not
too impressed with Netbackup's implementation of these. (and you still need
vault to move from data domain out to tape unless you feel like scripting this,
which is doable.)

If you go back in time to what VTL was born from, it really was a jury-rig
approach to doing backups to disk. OST bridges this gap.