Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] DD LSU question

2011-04-20 14:55:12
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] DD LSU question
From: William Brown <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com>
To: Mark Glazerman <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>, "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 20:54:54 +0200
I'm fairly certain that there are no real problems about having multiple LSUs,
certainly as far as dedupe goes - I am quite sure that dedupe is global to all
the LSUs.

The 'some advanced NetBackup features' is really saying that due to the
limitations of the current OST specification, each LSU is reporting back the
total free space of the appliance.  That means you overestimate the free space,
and as some NetBackup load balancing uses that information to assign backups to
storage units it gets fooled.  As I understand it there is not a quick fix as
it requires an update to the OST API spec from Symantec, and then that OST
vendors update their plug-ins to that new spec.

A similar issue happens with PureDisk appliances.  Of course when the LSUs all
belong to different domains the problem is compounded, as they all think they
have space.  Where this really could hurt if you ever actually fill it;
NetBackup before is starts a backup tries to figure out if there is enough
space, so as not to fail after hours of backup.  If the space is being counted
several times over, maybe in different domains, than those sums may go wrong.
The warnings are there so you don’t start logging tickets to Symantec or the
OST appliance vendors.

If you buy lots of space (and I'm sure they will be pleased I you do) so you
don’t go near running out it will be fine. I'm sure you can ask the appliance
how much free space there really is, and make your plans for expansion based on
the trend in that.

William D L Brown