Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] 32 KB for BCV Based Tape backup

2010-03-22 11:21:51
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] 32 KB for BCV Based Tape backup
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:21:46 -0500
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 9:30 AM, BeDour, Wayne <WBedour AT lear DOT com> wrote:
You are probably running the backup before the bcv's are mounted.  A
backup of 32kb typically is letting you know you just backed up and
empty filesystem.  We run a script looking for 32k backups to give us a
heads up.  It's after the fact but it's something that can slip by if
not watched for.

You can also get a 32k backup if you exclude everything under your mount point.  Say you do an ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES backup but exclude something like your live databases so you can run special backups for those.  You could get a perfectly valid 32k backup for the original backups.

This is similar to the questions we see about status 1 completion codes.  For some, it's a problem.  For others, it isn't.  That's why they pay us the big bucks - to figure out which is which.

   .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org