Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Drive

2010-03-11 10:17:16
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Drive
From: Bryan Bahnmiller <bbahnmiller AT dtcc DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 09:17:04 -0600

  What I have done in the past is "downed" the drives I want to use with tar. You can then use robtest to move tapes in and out of the drives. You have to be careful with your "mt" and "tar" commands so as to not unload the tape. If you unload the tape, you will have to use robtest to move that tape back to a slot and then back into the drive. It's not without problems, but it can be done. I sure wouldn't try and do anything automated this way.

Bryan

Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

03/11/2010 09:03 AM

VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
cc
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Drive

Hm,

That's a tricky one, you can set it to only use 2 drives for write, but
those drives will be 'any two drives' of the four.  There may be a setting
to make sure the drives don't get used-- I have not had to do that myself.

Justin.

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, naymyotun wrote:

> Hi,
>      Could you please help to find out for me if it is possible for Netbackup
> and Tape Library:
>
>          If Master server manages 4 tape drive from the Tape Library, can
> we set it in such a way that 2 tape drives will be used for
> backups run using Netbackup while another 2 tape drives are used
> for the tar command triggered from OS level? Can you also check
> if to trigger tar command from OS level, can I use any user
> account, besides Administrator & root account to handle it?

DTCC DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and any attachments from your system. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.