Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] netbackup and vStorage question

2010-01-24 09:23:00
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] netbackup and vStorage question
From: "Mike Andres" <Mike_Andres AT symantec DOT com>
To: "smpt" <smpt1 AT peppas DOT gr>, "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 07:22:49 -0700

Ed’s right, vStorage API is a VMware component of vSphere 4.0 Standard and above and it is written and supported by VMware.  It is up to the backup app vendor to conform to this API to leverage its functionality.  With vStorage API and NBU 7 you don’t need to install any VMware software on the NBU Media server (and you no longer need to copy the vmdk to a staging area prior to the backup).  Everything required to use vStorage API from the NBU 7 side is built in to the base NBU install.  With NBU 6.5 you had to install the VCB framework on the Media server.  The VCB framework is written and supported by VMware so typically the VMware admins would install and support this part but as with anything that varies from shop to shop.