Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] PureDisk Customers

2009-11-20 10:16:57
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] PureDisk Customers
From: Tom Burrell <tburrell_mn AT yahoo DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 07:16:49 -0800 (PST)
We're using it to backup about 35 remote servers, some of which have the
"millions of small files" issue in spades.

Short answer: it may not solve your backup window problem- or it might.

Things to keep in mind: you are limited in terms of the number of PO's per job.
 Each file/folder is a PO, so you'll probably need some hefty include/exclude
lists to make sure you are below the limit (varies by version- check the manual
for your version).

A lot of your performance with PD is based on the client. I have a 1.25 TB
client that does 6 million + files per night. Takes 8-10 hours over a 1 GB LAN
link to a local PD sever, even with only 8GB of changes.  This is an older
server with a 3ghz Xeon processor and 4 GB RAM.  Disk controller is an HP
SA6400 with 192 Mb set to 50/50 R/W.  A more powerful client would definitely
improve your performance.

If you want to play around with it, you can download a pre-packaged VM with a
built-in trial key to see if it works for you.  I highly recommend a long chat
with Symantec techincal types too- I haven't used the VM or version 6.6, but at
least on the older versions the installs are not for the faint of heart.

Tom