Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Fragment size for LTO4 on NBU 6.x

2009-09-16 10:04:22
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Fragment size for LTO4 on NBU 6.x
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:13:06 -0400 (EDT)
32GB here.

It all depends how long you want to wait to restore a file if you have
large backups that can span a tape completely.

With 1TB fragment size, assuming there was no compression and you needed
to restore a 10k file at the end of the tape, it would need to read the
entire thing to restore the file.

If you used a smaller fragement size, it would skip to the closest
fragment to the file that needed to be restored.

Don't go too small though or every time it writes a file marker, it could
slow down the backup.

It is all about speed of backup vs. speed of restore (and the data type
being backed up/restored) as well.

Justin.